• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One C-clamp down, how the H#LL do I get these bushing sleevves out????

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying for 2 hours now. I got the Bilsteins that Rusty is selling for $45 a piece and they're in my garage. The problem is that the lower bushing for the rear has a sleeve in it. Well, that's simple enough, I'll just push the sleeve out. Well, not quite, I've managed to break a C-clamp and possibly waste one bushing. Now what is it that I'm doing wrong?? I don't have access to a vice. I tried the two sockets and a hammer, I tried two sockets and the clamp, I tried one socket and beating the piss out of it. I can't get it. I've sprayed penetrating lube liberally, even tried peeling the bushing back to get it down in there. I don't know what else to do. PLEASE HELP!!! THanks

Ary

The only way that I know of, short of burning them out that you can do it at home is with a nice big vice. Of course if you have a hydraulic press or ball joint press at home that will work too. You might want to take the shock over to a shop or to someones house who does have a vice.

If you can carefully heat the sleeve with a blow torch, just enough to warm it up, you might be able to slide it out without damaging the bushing. I did that with a very pesky bar pin.

XJguy

i know to get mine out i took a socket extension and stuck it in the hole and beat the piss out of it. the extension will be dead, but you'll be good to go

Brad

I bad to beat my shocks against a safe with all sorts of tools clamped/wedged/hammered on the end of of it. Try to get it moving a bit and then twist viciously like a junkyard dog with a big ass pair of vice grips.

A vice or press makes this job easy. Beating on it with something doesn't acomplish much be cause the bushing absorbs the hammers impact and it has little effect.
But constant pressure will force it right out. I would really look around for a friend with a press or vice, or go buy yourself one.
An inexpensive press would most likely be cheaper than a good vice large enough to do the job.

Back