• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard upgrades

I believe on a d35 its even easier than a c8.25, you have to do some grinding to make things fit on the c8.25, on the d35 it should be bolt on.

Or I could have that completely backwards:wierd:

I had to do some grinding on the brackets on the C8.25...

98XJSport said:
I believe on a d35 its even easier than a c8.25, you have to do some grinding to make things fit on the c8.25, on the d35 it should be bolt on.

Or I could have that completely backwards:wierd:

I hated the stock horn on mine so when I was out at the yard I was looking under the hoods of older trucks. I picked up a few different horns and picked the better ones to use when I got home. One horn is off a 40's flatbed Ford and another off of a 50's Chevy truck. Together they sound great. I had to do a little work on them since they where so old and it took a bit to get them adjusted. The nice thing about them is you can change the tone of them to get the sound that you want. I also have to run them off of a relay because the stock fuse would never hold up to them. Now I sound like a truck instead of some import car.

So I went to the JY today to find a 35 tooth speedo gear(I swapped out my 96 axle with 3.07s for my 94 axle with 3.55s, Auburn LSD, and zj disks) so my speedo would be right. I was also looking for any 99+intakes(got one for my bro), 97+electric fan to eliminate the clutch fan, and some various trim pieces. Didn't come across a fan or a tan drivers side armrest, but I did see a body-sound 6/96 2dr Cherokee. I couldn't believe the condition it was in and then I did a double take of the engine bay--saw that it was a 2.5 4-banger. Anyhow IIRC, all 8.25s after 5/96 have the 29 splines and all 5-speed 2.5s came with 4.10s, right? I didn't get a chance to jack it up, but what are the chances that it has the trac-loc(I looked in the glove box and didn't see a tag)?

when you state that you can use s10 leaf springs with the main xj's spring, what actually mean? i guess what i'm asking is how do you do this ? how do you clamp the springs together and as for u-bolts what do ya do there? do ya have to angle shim the axle, i'm going to guess you also have to drop the t-case. what would be the cheapest way to lift the front then to equal the hight of the rear what kind of ride can i expect what else would need to be done to finish a lift like this ? and yes i am new to all this but need to try to do every thing on the cheap to keep peace in the family . p.s. will this wheel pretty good then ??

NickThePyro said:
Im gonna go junk yard running in search of the skids. Anybody have pictures of them?

Thanks,
Nick

oem front skid, transfercase skid and gas tank skid will be pretty obviuos when you see them.

Jeff in VA said:
4.10's "generally" behind 2.5/2.8L with stick, BUT you might stumble across a 2.5 with an AW4 (a real rarity). They came with 4.56's....like this one. This was my $89 junkyard upgrade this past Saturday :clap:
Jeff

D303.jpg

D304.jpg
I found one using car-part.com ...i got one local for under $200 I couldnt even get gears for that, along with installation and a hp axle...you can buy a seal kit from warn to convert to solid shafts. so you dont have to worry about the weak shaft

its not very hard, and is failry striagt forward...the factory tie rod is hallow and the xj is solid stock

rooneypower said:
i believe the orginal post says that the zj tierod is beefier than the stock XJ??

How hard would it be to put it into my XJ, does it really matter??

It's a direct bolt on. Unbolt old one, bolt on new one, crack open a beer and smile.

rooneypower said:
i believe the orginal post says that the zj tierod is beefier than the stock XJ??

How hard would it be to put it into my XJ, does it really matter??

ONLY the ZJ V8 tie rod and adjuster is solid and stronger compared to the hollow XJ AND ZJ normal ones.
It will just bolt in place as shown here: http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/tierod-1.htm

5.2poweredxj said:
Forgot about an other good mod that I had to do.
converting from the close system to open without changing your radatior using junkyard parts. Go to the yard and look for dakotas or durangos with a 4.7 and grab the upper hose to get there fill cap. Cut section out of the upper hose and install into it and find an any over flow bottle that will work. Block or elimitate the T'ed lines in the heater core and your done.

It will kinda look like this when your done except for the V8 :)

2523955_44_full.jpg

What exactly does this do? (closed and open systems)

OK.. well still wondering???

Can you tell me if a:
91 Cherokee Laredo, AT- Front DS..
work in an 00 XJ with, AT, JB conversions "Standard" SYE and 8.25?

mage said:
OK.. well still wondering???

Can you tell me if a:
91 Cherokee Laredo, AT- Front DS..
work in an 00 XJ with, AT, JB conversions "Standard" SYE and 8.25?

Yes it will providing both are a 4.0 litre as well.

Back