• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chassis on a rotisserie ??

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
I've been thinking (bad idea, right), has anyone put a cherokee on a rotisserie to work on the body ?

I have plans to:
1) put on front & mid stiffeners
2) patch some minor rust spots in the floorboards
3) install 2x6 rockers
4) upgrade the lift to the 5"-6" range, maybe even go with the new ironman 4 link front & rear (currently 4.5" mixed bag of parts type lift)
5) remove the factory roof rack, weld up holes and install custom roof rack w/drip rail mounts
6) modify the seat mounting points to lower the seat height
7) remove rear seat completely and replace with storage
8) replace front & rear axles
9) could also use a new exhaust manifold (easier to do with the engine out)
10) maybe replace rear main seal (not leaking , just weeping at this point)
11) rebuild t-case (chain & basic rebuild & put the magnet back in that I left out with the SYE install)
12) maybe install some flares, likely the Notch Custom brand

basically, perform the work in the sequence listed

My question is, if I strip the steering/suspension/trans/t-case/engine/interior/fuel tank to get as much weight off the chassis as possible, but leave the doors & hood/hatch on to help with the stiffness and then put it on a rotisserie and flip it to weld on the underside, will I have flex problems ??

Should the windshield be removed ?? I would think it would help with flex as well.

or should I tack the stiffeners on good before doing so ?

With all the work, I will be close to stripping it all the way down anyway, and I know for sure welding with it flipped will be easier than upside down, as long as it doesn't cause problems with flex in the body.

Thoughts ? Ideas ? Suggestions ?

Last edited:
Not a great idea. The unibody will flex. Anything you fix may end up wrinkling when you take it off the rack.

It's been done, and I've seen pics in the past, though it was used on a bare chassis. Years ago, AZRick had one for sale even, once he was done with it...

Throw "rotisserie" into search here, and you can follow some of the threads...

It's been done, and I've seen pics in the past, though it was used on a bare chassis. Years ago, AZRick had one for sale even, once he was done with it...

Throw "rotisserie" into search here, and you can follow some of the threads...

I did last nite, and didn't see much of anything.......

You'll spend a ton of money/time just building the rotisserie!

It can be done. If you are worried about flexing you can easily tack some cross beams inside. Unless you're unibody is flaking apart I highly doubt it's just going to crumple being flipped on it's side. People use rotisseries on unibodys all the time, XJ isn't going to be any different.

You'll spend a ton of money/time just building the rotisserie!

May be...but I am pretty sure I can make one out of a couple of engine stands, some scrap metal, and a welder that will serve its purpose just fine.

Google chassis rotisserie and look at the images.....not a lot to it.

More worried about the potential of chassis flex while welding the stiffeners & rockers in upside down resulting in problems when back upright on the ground.

Since the interior will be out, I suppose I could tack in some cross bracing to mitigate flex, then remove the doors/hatch to lighten it even more.

Last edited:
rotisserie xj?

aren't you worried about it drying out? wouldn't an instapot be way better?

A rotisserie is a great way to work on a stripped chassis.
If you are worried about flexing when welding in the stiffeners and rockers, tack them in well, with the chassis level, and then rotate it for better access, to finish welding.

Back