• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ tailgate on XJ. Anyone ever seen it done?

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says...

I was daydreaming earlier and thought of it. Have the MJ tailgate pivot down like it normally would, then have the XJ liftgate cut short and hinge up like it normally does. Kinda like a cap on an MJ.

I bet that would be pretty cool.

It sure would be nice to drive with the rear opened up. I used to do it all the time in my old hard top CJ. Nice ventilation.

No one has done the topper part that I am aware of, but plenty with just the tailgate.

DSC02882.JPG

I wouldn't want to do all that work with the goal of installing tail lights that are getting harder and harder to find. They're not getting any easier to find either.

I wouldn't want to do all that work with the goal of installing tail lights that are getting harder and harder to find. They're not getting any easier to find either.

Odds are it'll never happen. At least on my rig. But if I were to do it, most likely I'd make some sort of light boxes and use the generic truck lights or something to that effect like the rig pictured above. There's a few reasons I really like the idea though. Increased functionality. Less stress on the fiberglass having only half the weight to support. And the big embossed Jeep logo across the back.

No doubt it would be a lot of work. But it sure would look cool if done right.

Biggest thing holding me back is lack of tinker space. Projects like this typically don't turn out well when they're being done in an apartment parking space.... I gotta move....

I don't know where I got lights from. :doh: I'll crawl back under my rock now. Carry on!

Back