• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

An XJ build thread!

Headliner replaced over the weekend. Was PAST due. The sag was serious and the P/O apparently had a greasy dome.

I initially was going to go with factory grey but i forgot how much i love a good flannel.

Last edited:
With the heat returning here in the entrance to the valley, I quickly realized I need to address my transmission heat issues. I had installed this temp gauge shortly after I had the aw4 rebuilt last June. I tapped the factory port on the trans. Pretty sure Toyota had the right idea by utilizing this :eyes:

Pretty cool. And good job getting the stripes to line up.

Decided on going the cheap route as far as an actual trans cooler. Nipped this off of a Mercury Mountaineer today at the junkyard.

Anybody have experience with this cooler? Pick n Pull is not as affordable as it once was, but after pulling the damn thing i was committed. Might take it back and go with a legit stacked plate cooler.

Decided on going the cheap route as far as an actual trans cooler. Nipped this off of a Mercury Mountaineer today at the junkyard.

Anybody have experience with this cooler? Pick n Pull is not as affordable as it once was, but after pulling the damn thing i was committed. Might take it back and go with a legit stacked plate cooler.

I don’t have experience with that cooler, but I did add an external cooler to my XJ. Not sure what you paid, but a general purpose cooler I picked up was $50ish shipped. Pretty cheap for improved cooling for the trans.

With the heat returning here in the entrance to the valley, I quickly realized I need to address my transmission heat issues. I had installed this temp gauge shortly after I had the aw4 rebuilt last June. I tapped the factory port on the trans. Pretty sure Toyota had the right idea by utilizing this :eyes:

I’m going to be doing a trans gauge myself. Unfortunately that port isn’t open on the 99’s. I’m going to have to cut into the steel lines and add mine.

Headliner replaced over the weekend. Was PAST due. The sag was serious and the P/O apparently had a greasy dome.

I initially was going to go with factory grey but i forgot how much i love a good flannel.

Ok, please tell me where you got the fabric. All I find online are kits with solid color.

Oh, and I’m jealous of your overhead console. I would love to find one to add to mine.

Nice rig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have experience with that cooler, but I did add an external cooler to my XJ. Not sure what you paid, but a general purpose cooler I picked up was $50ish shipped. Pretty cheap for improved cooling for the trans.

I’m going to be doing a trans gauge myself. Unfortunately that port isn’t open on the 99’s. I’m going to have to cut into the steel lines and add mine.

Ok, please tell me where you got the fabric. All I find online are kits with solid color.

Oh, and I’m jealous of your overhead console. I would love to find one to add to mine.

Nice rig!
Thanks man! The trans gauge is super nice to have. But pushing 33s with 3.55 gears right now , mine is definitely warmer than it should be.

I paid 20 for the cooler. Should do the job though. Made in Canada.

I got the fabric off http://fabric.com. Not many patterns that are wide enough for headliners but this one i got is great.

After some trimming and fitting this Ford cooler was tits; as far as fitment. Bypassed the radiator for now. This car wont see many cold temps for a while. I have a quattro to get me to Tahoe in the winter.

Last edited:
Also scored a Drop bracket kit to fix my nasty short arm angle. I swore I wouldnt put any RC parts on this thing but its hard to pass up a really good deal. :looney:

Some parts showed up this past week!

Skid Row TC skid

(dont mind the busted crossmember.. lol)

THOR cowl intake.

Great kit. You'll definitely notice it from the cab though as far as noise. Kinda wondering about heat soak with all that surface area above the valve cover with the hot temps of our motors?

Last edited:
THOR cowl intake.

Great kit. You'll definitely notice it from the cab though as far as noise. Kinda wondering about heat soak with all that surface area above the valve cover with the hot temps of our motors?

I just bought one of those used for $115. Not sure if I want to use it for the very reason that you stated about the noise. My Jeep is just a DD but would not mind uncluttering the engine bay some.
Also the cutting part. I have no problem with the cutting but if it is just noisier then I would like and I take it out now I have that hole there.
Part of my commitment issues. LOL.

Noise is awful IMO, I ran the THOR kit for maybe 1 week before taking it back off. Now I have a hole in the cowl to remind me...

That was my thinking yo but used in good shape for $115 shipped I figured I would grab it.
And then overthink it like I do everything else. LOL.

Some parts showed up this past week!

Skid Row TC skid

(dont mind the busted crossmember.. lol)

THOR cowl intake.

I have the thor kit as well. If you live monitor, on the highway your temps will be about 20-25 degrees more than ambient. It does very with keeping intake air temps cooler. Imo the best cold air intake on the market for xjs

I have run a cowl intake, for 11 years, utilizing the stock airbox.
It is quiet except under full throttle and,in the summer, the intake air is 20-30 degree cooler when cruising. I cut a hole in the driverside firewall.
The box has a second opening, near the stock location for a cap, used when fording deep water. I leave it off in the winter when hot air isn't an issue, replacing it in the summer when cooler intake air is desired.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157622703531169/

4116231749_9b57fa3a45_w.jpg

Leaving the airbox and stock air tube in place keep our emission inspectors happy.

I have run a cowl intake, for 11 years, utilizing the stock airbox.
It is quiet except under full throttle and,in the summer, the intake air is 20-30 degree cooler when cruising. I cut a hole in the driverside firewall.
The box has a second opening, near the stock location for a cap, used when fording deep water. I leave it off in the winter when hot air isn't an issue, replacing it in the summer when cooler intake air is desired.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157622703531169/

4116231749_9b57fa3a45_w.jpg

Leaving the airbox and stock air tube in place keep our emission inspectors happy.

THOR cowl intake has a CARB EO#.

I have the thor kit as well. If you live monitor, on the highway your temps will be about 20-25 degrees more than ambient. It does very with keeping intake air temps cooler. Imo the best cold air intake on the market for xjs

Sweet deal man, thanks for the info. I can deal with the noise; got a loud enough stereo. And this is not my daily driver.

Works been real busy lately, but I've been squeezing in some wrench time on the ol' girl where I can. Was really hoping to make Sierra Fest with the local chapter here, but I dont wanna jump the gun and be ill-fit for the trip. Im currently saving for sliders and a new rear axle. Waiting for an XJ d44 to pop up in a local JY... (might be a little too hopeful on that one) or im gonna just go with the 8.8 exploder setup.

Aussie lunchbox in

Last edited:
Back