• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's happening....

Ive been studying for my HAM test like crazy. Just going for the basic technician lisc.

Air quality in the Bay Area sucks right now. Cancelled my Mt Tam ride with a couple buddies today. I wonder how long until the wind shifts and we can get some cleaner air? I can normally see Mt Diablo from my kitchen window, its completely obscured by smoke.

Do we have any members near paradise ???

Do we have any members near paradise ???

I live in Chico. It's pretty bad up here. I had an idea of possibly incorporating a group donation for the organizations up here along side the toys for tots thing (if that hasn't already passed). Pretty much the entire town of 27000 people is wiped out, and the fire is still taking out smaller communities around it and is heading towards Oroville. I'm volunteering this next week since school has been cancelled (fire crews using the school as their base) and could coordinate donations.

Yeah that would be awesome if we could help out up there

I'm cooking for the whole family again this year. I like not having to drive anywhere but it's a lot of work for just one meal.

Ill be cooking for the fam. Should be fun. Hopefully get some bathroom remodeling done. Been wrenching a ton and passed the HAM technician test on saturday.

Hot my call sign the other day, KM6YFP, pretty neat ! test was super easy, I was the first person done in my room, maybe 5-10 minutes total. I studied a good amount though. I really just wanted it so I can use the repeaters on for emergency communications if ever needed .

Congrats!! That's why I did it to - not sure if we can chat from the bay area to the foothills, have you tried to see if you can hit the Mt Diablo repeater? Its 147.060, PL 100.0

I just have a 5 watt handheld Yaesu FT60R and an 18in. magnet mount roof antenna on my daily driver and I've been able to get Mt Diablo coming home from Tahoe on the donner summit but haven't tried it in the foothills. Along highway 80 I can get it all the way until vacaville/dixon area.

I need to still order a good radio but id be down to try to hit that mt diablo repeater when I do!

Yaesu ft7900 is a good simple mobile rig with detachable face. Way easier to find a spot to mount it. 50 watts. So with good antenna you might be able to hit mt diablo repeater. Let's all get on some night and chat. Good job on passing the test. KK6ONF clear..

Hey all!
I still have my xj... (The blue one.) It has had a lot of maintenance done to it lately, but no trails.
I'm mostly rocking my grey wj now, but both are in the garage because I daily drive a crappy little jetta now. ($700 DD)
Teaching autoshop and US History at Eureka High School. Total blast. I look like a kid too, so managing high schoolers is difficult!

I would LOVE to hit the Rubicon again soon.

Hey Guys, what did you use to study for your ham license. I really want to get one also. I'm hoping there's some online study guide you can direct me to that you felt were a good resource.

It's not a bad idea for everyone that goes into the Backwoods to have a way of communicating in case of an emergency.

Back