• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

suggestions on upgrading my 89xj

cblevy98

NAXJA Forum User
i presently run a 3in trailmater suspension lift. i am getting ready to do some up grades. i like another guy who just posted would like to stay away from sye, if i can.

here are some ideas i'm considering:

1) rustys 4.5 with new spring paks
2) rough country 4in with new spring paks
3) add a budget boost to what i already have
4) modify a budget boost this is where it can get tricky. add like 1.5-2in spacers up front. then for the rear do blocks instead of regular shackels then add the revolving shackels to it.

i'm presently on 30x9.5s which i would ultimatley like be at 33s but will settle for a 32. i also want to get the most available flex i can get. i'm thinking the last idea will be best. then that will leave me money for disos. and if i need anything else please let me know.

anybody local to the york pa that might be able to help with a wrench-a-thon in a month or so please let me know

<EDIT> one more question. if i do idea 4 does it make any differance which brand of parts i use?

Last edited:
I'd go 4.5 inches of lift for 32 or 33 inch tires (some trimming may be required).

As far as brands, just read some threads by searching for the brand name. You'll find out pretty quick the ones that have problems, but remember most people who have no problems don't run out and make a post about it.

Some of the experts maybe could tell you more if you post what kind of wheeling you want to do, if you have an SYE, what axles you run (some won't go over 32 on a d35 rear). Also do you plan to regear?

That's about all I could say except most people frown on blocks for lift.

thak you. only looking to use blocks for like1.5 inches or so.

looking to use the revolver shackles and was wondering about their charateristics

Personally, I would get the Rubicon Express 4.5" kit w/ spring packs. You will still have to trim to fit 33s, but should ride pretty nice. However w/ it being a 98, you may have vibes, seems like every jeep is different in that respect. If you were content w/ 31s, you could get away w/ the RE 3.5" kits w/ spring packs, may rub a little, but not much. Stay away from Skyjacker, ride is harsh! Just my .02.

Sorry, I see your jeep is an 89, 96 and earlier xjs are much less suseptable to vibes than 97+. With a 1" T-case drop and the RE 4.5" kit, you should not have any vibes if you also get 4 degree shims for the rear axle. That is what I run, zero vibes.

best lift kit ever

brand - is a toss up... everyone will have their own recomendations

Back