• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 diagnosis equipment

No on-board diagnostics on an 88 (no OBD I or OBD II). Renix systems do not store codes. It can be put on a DRB machine at your mechanic for real time diagnostics. Unless you're willing to drop the $$ for that, all you really need is a Digital Multi Meter (DMM), and in some cases an analog meter. A test light is also a good thing to have around.

The only "emissions" light that will ever come on is the maintenance timer, which is more trouble than it's worth. If that light comes on, remove the bulb, and don't look back.

If you've never used a DMM:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/pdfs/000multi2.pdf

Last edited:
See if you can find a used Snap-On MT2500 with the Jeep-1 cable and card. My local dealer was selling them for $250. Bonus is you can also do OBD-2 with the same tool. It's very handy to be able to look at the live datastream for anything amiss.

The HEGO maintenance timer is located under the dash, driver's side, to the right of the steering column. It is a one-use only timer, about $60 to replace at the dealership parts counter. Just unplug the timer, the light will go out. It is a reminder to replace your o2 sensor, just track your mileage.

ParadiseXJ and JJacobs are right--real-time only system so no stored codes and no CELs.

Possible names for the engine management other than Renix: OBD-0; OBD-Less. Any other suggestions?

I like my SnapOn 2500 brick. It really doesn't do anything you can't do with a good voltmeter, but it is a lot easier to use.

$250 - $400 used for the 2500 model

You really can save yourself a lot of money if you have a Renix Fuel Injection manual and a decent digital multi-meter. Another good manual to have is the ignition manual for Jeep 4.0L Solid State Ignition (SSI). There really is not anything you cannot diagnose on a renix era Jeep with those things at your disposal.:read:

Everybody says that- but the fact is you can diagnose ANY problem on any vehicle given a meter and enough time. However, the amount of time involved muddling around with a meter versus hooking up diagnostic equipment is very significant. I can tell you in 2 minutes which area to focus on with an MT2500 versus several hours of meter probing.

I have a couple of very good DMMs. I also have the Renix Fuel Injection Manual. I have never heard of the ignition manual for Jeep 4.0L Solid State Ignition (SSI). Any idea where I can pick one up?

I asked about the MT2500 because I have a chance to pick one up for $200. The seller is just confirming that it includes the Jeep-1 option.

I have a couple of very good DMMs. I also have the Renix Fuel Injection Manual. I have never heard of the ignition manual for Jeep 4.0L Solid State Ignition (SSI). Any idea where I can pick one up?

I asked about the MT2500 because I have a chance to pick one up for $200. The seller is just confirming that it includes the Jeep-1 option.

I'd buy the MT2500 with the Jeep service pack for that price. Damn handy tool to have, IMO.

Very handy. I use mine all the time on both my 89's. I got mine with the case, a whole bunch of other cards and cables off of evil-bay for about 300 if I remember right. Well worth the money in my book.

Back