View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2017, 09:17
SouthEast #4328 (RVA)

Re: XJsportG's "How'd I get here" build

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinhauler View Post
Great build.. that's a nice parts brake down for the no spin hub setup. I still have my hp30. So hard to put more money in that little guy. You have a tough decision if you want to run 37s, good luck
I felt your pain, and still do haha. I have a good idea on what i'm doing to run the 37s, the info will be coming soon.

-----------------------------------

So here is where my mind started turning. It was time to move on from the HP 30 and go to something bigger, as I wanted to lock the front and go up to 37s. I couldnt justify making the HP 30 work and putting more money into it, than I already had. I thought about picking up a Rubicon 44 and that way all the Reid knuckle stuff would swap, but realized I wasnt gaining a lot.

Pros:
- Slightly larger Ring & Pinion
- Factory locked
- Reid Knuckles swapped (keep lockouts)

Cons:
- Low-pinion design
- Same u-joint & ball-joints as HP 30
- Possibly weaker tubes/housing
- Couldnt find one for under $2k

So I decided to look for a real 44. Itll have the same u-joints as the HP 30, but figured everything else was an update. I knew I was looking for a High Pinion Dana 44 from an early 70s Ford with the welded wedges, or leaf perches; I didn't want to mess with the 78/79 cast wedges or a Waggy 44 as those are low pinion and some had the 6x5.5 bolt pattern and I was already running 5x5.5.

I found someone locally, who was selling a HP Dana 44 from a 79 F150, but it head leaf perches and 5x5.5. This was interesting as I didnt know this existed. Turned out it was from a 1979 F-150 Super Cab. These were leaf sprung, not coil sprung, and had the 5x5.5 bolt pattern, even though the axle from the Cs inward are the same as the F-250 leaf sprung 44s from the same year. That being said, these have a wider WMS than regular F-150/Bronco 44s from pre-77 and actually measure the almost same as the 78-79 Snowfighter Dana 60s. They are little short due to the different length in stubs/hub, but the inner axle lengths are almost identical. Tubes are 3 in diameter and 0.50 thick. The BOM for my Super Cab 44 is 610068-2.

Truck-----------F-150-----------F-250/350
Model--------Super Cab-----Snowfighter
Axle------------Dana 44----------Dana 60
Left Inner------18.62------------18.70
Right Inner----34.75------------34.56
Stub shaft------9.94-------------11.40
Tube-------------3x0.5---------3.125x0.5
WMS------------~66-67-----------69.25

Got it home, started to clean it up, take it apart, and figure out what I am going to do now. The Reid knuckles wont swap, but everything from the hub & brakes would, including the stubs. I would just sell the Reid knuckles and the Chevy spindles from the 30/44 setup. Since this is much wider and almost full-width, the rear axle would need some decent spacers or Id have to swap something else in. I decided Id wait on this and figure out what Im doing with the front first, maybe Ill shorten it.

RVA

Last edited by XJsportG; November 9th, 2017 at 09:28.