• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another Rock Rail Ques.

csudman

NAXJA Forum User
Just about finished w/ mine but I am having trouble desciding on which bolts or self tap screws to attach to the frame. I'm using 9 Grade 8 3/8 bolts thru the seam into my 1x1 for the pinch. That should be plenty strong. But I'm having worrys about what to use to actualy mount to the frame through my 3/16 plate frame mounts. Right know I've got the biggest self tappers I could find at Tractor supply or Home Depot. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
CJ

thats more than most. i have AJ's and have pulled the XJ side ways with them and no trouble.

i used 3/8 all the way around. The pinch weld and the mounts to the frame. I have 4 bolts on the 2 frame mounts. and 2 on the rear spring hanger mount. I have 8 bolts along the pinch weld OVER KILL i know but the guy i was workin with was the one goin nutso on the bolts.

Well, here's my buck fifty...

First of all, I know that a lot of people use self tappers, ORGS rails come with 3/8ths at about 1.5 inches long to go into the "frame" rails. Right now I've got my SuperNerfs mounted with those (and four 5/16ths in the pinch), but that's only because I was short on time, here's my plan...

I'm going to mount them up with 3/8ths bolts that go though the whole "frame." On either side I'll have a 1/4" plate that's about 10" long to distribute the load (that way I don't pull though my frame!). The only reason I'm using 1/4" plate is because my rails arms are a little short because I got them used. (The guy that I bought them fron boxed his frame in 1/4" angle iron.) I'd say that you can get away with the plate only being on the inside part of the rail (opposite of the rock rail) and you'll be good, after all, most the stress on that is going to be pulling out.

Sequoia

Everybody seems to do something different. I used 15 bolts along each pinch seam and I did not like the idea of using self tappers. So I have 4 arms that run from the pinch seam into the frame and each has two fine thread bolts that attach it (I drilled, and tapped them).

Personally I think that self tappers is the easiest secure way to do it. If you really want over kill then I like the idea of going all the way through the frame rail and supporting it on each side.

Michael

Everybody seems to do something different. I used 15 bolts along each pinch seam and I did not like the idea of using self tappers. So I have 4 arms that run from the pinch seam into the frame and each has two fine thread bolts that attach it (I drilled, and tapped them).

Personally I think that self tappers is the easiest secure way to do it. If you really want over kill then I like the idea of going all the way through the frame rail and supporting it on each side.

Michael

i did NOT use self tapers. the pinch weld bolts are nutted on the inside and the bolt to the frame i drilled and taped them. Did NOT use self tapers

So where do i find 3/8 self tapping bolts. Or should I just get some 3/8's fine thread and drill and tap them myself?

If you decide to go through the frame with the bolts, you need to sleeve the bolt hole with some tubing, pipe or whatever so that you son't crush the frame rail when you tighten the bolts.

Dan

Sequoia, if you did it this way, there would be no need to plate both sides of the frame rail.

How often do you guys remove your rails?

Weld them on. I did and they've held up to JV smashing. If/When I roll my rig to the point it's totally totalled, I'll cut what's left of the 'frame open & remove the rails.

If you cut/drill/bolt holes in your rails they're gonna rust.

Back