• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch problem

baja dan

NAXJA Forum User
So i just went and purchased a 96 2door 4cyl 4x4 xj went to drive it, it starts good but i couldn put it in gear the clutch would not grab checked the resevoir it was empty put some in and the clutch grabbed a little. my question is this. what would be the wisest thing to do here and how? should i change the slave and master cylinder how can i bleeed the system? or just change out everything clutch and both slave and master? After i drove it around the block with the clutch beig a pain to shift in and out of gear i decided to buy it was really jerky on take off also not sure if any one can help with this. thanks in advance

I just dealt with a similar problem on my 92, I was able to swap in a new master cylinder and shifts fine now. I would try to bleed it first and look for leaks around the master cylinder and by your clutch pedal. Could have leaked out for some reason since you said it was low on fluid. Yours is a single unit for the master and slave I believe. The new one would have both the slave and master as a single piece that comes prebled. remove the bolts on the master and slave, remove, replace. Want to say 20-30 minutes of work and about 160 bucks depending on where you get one. I hear the dealership is actually a decent price on this part.

so the slave and master are a one piece part not sure if i understand i traced the master cylinder line that goes and ties in to a cylinder (slave cylinder) theres a tubing line in between, i cant imagine they are a one piece deal. sorry for the newbe questions this is my first jeep been wheeling a toyota for along time

Yeah, the external slave setup is a one piece unit ( they can be taken apart, but there is no reason to)
Are you sure the slave hasn't leaked ?

not sure unless it leaked in to the tranny i just looked underneath its pretty grimmy. so the master and slave cylinder is a one piece deal just looked them up ill go this route hopefully its all it needs the lady i bought it from said she had the clutch done the same time she replaced that piece she did mention it was a one piece deal also, kinda of a stupid design in my opinion any one know what tranny these 4cyl xj came with and gearing in the diffs?

4cyl should have 4.10 in the diffs. the external set up is pretty sweet actually. To get to my slave I have to drop the transmission.... I would be ecstatic to only have to remove 4 or 5 bolts to change my slave even if I had to pay a little extra for the master cylinder connected. Not sure on the tranny, should be an ax15. could be an ax5 though. I'll look around. I am bored and enjoying a beer anyways.

Someone else more knowledgeable will have to chime in about the transmission. You could have either a ax5 or an ax15 from what I have been able to find. keep reading conflicting descriptions. May have to crawl under and take a look.

Good luck with the fix!

A little more on the hydraulics here. Assuming the setup is the same as that on a 96 4.0 and AX15, the master and slave are sold by Jeep as a complete unit, but can indeed be separated, and the parts are available as aftermarket separately (Centrix is the usual brand).

The jerky shifting could be a contaminated clutch, but it could also just be from not being able to operate the clutch well with the hydraulics messed up. Also, as always in threads relating to a 96 clutch, I add my stock picture of a 95 clutch linkage that is as it should be. Compare yours, because it's not uncommon on this vintage for the weld at the top pivot of the pedal to be bad and allow the arm that operates the MC to bend outward. This will make for bad shifting and quick master cylinder failure.

95jeeppedal.jpg

you guys are awsome all this info is great i will order the part from the stealership some say its not that expensive and little better quality?

It's been a while finally got to crawl under the jeep took the slave off and pumped it a few times and it came apart. I put it back together pumped it some more lots of black crud came out but it seem to be working now. Does any one know if the slave suppose to come apart at the boot or should I just replace the whole set up ? Thanks

It's been a while finally got to crawl under the jeep took the slave off and pumped it a few times and it came apart. I put it back together pumped it some more lots of black crud came out but it seem to be working now. Does any one know if the slave suppose to come apart at the boot or should I just replace the whole set up ? Thanks
It is not supposed to come apart, but if you're lucky and careful about damaging the cups you can take it apart and put it back together without killing it. I'd try it now and see if it lasts, but don't be too surprised if it leaks, more from the crud that was in it than from the disassembly.

Back