• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

0331 head swap question

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
swapping a 97 0331 head onto an 01 block, and the 97 head is missing the bolt hole for the idler pulley. any ideas? help! all work has come to a standstill!

You sure about that Mike? A 97 should have the 0630 head.

xjohnnyc said:
You sure about that Mike? A 97 should have the 0630 head.
well, the bill says 97 head... help johhny we are at brendan's and stuck!

edit...'doh! the head says 0630.... but its still missing the idler pulley hole i got it backwards... we are REPLACING a 0331 head with an 0630

:doh:

Check the casting number on the head. If it's an 0630, then it may not have that hole to mount the 01 idler pulley.

In which case :dunno:

What idler pulley are you referring to? The 96+ serpentine belt idler pulley bolts to the water pump with 2 bolts and into the block with 1 bolt, the head doesn't factor in at all. You're not by chance talking about the coil pack rail are you? That is the one modification I know of when putting a 0630 head where a 0331 used to be.

BIGSLVRXJ said:
What idler pulley are you referring to? The 96+ serpentine belt idler pulley bolts to the water pump with 2 bolts and into the block with 1 bolt, the head doesn't factor in at all. You're not by chance talking about the coil pack rail are you? That is the one modification I know of when putting a 0630 head where a 0331 used to be.
we are putting a 97 0630 head onto a 01 block that had a 0331 head on it. we need to figure out how to mount the idler. i screwed up in my original post. too many beers :D its a good thing im not the one turning the wrenches, haha.

GrimmJeeper said:
we are putting a 97 0630 head onto a 01 block that had a 0331 head on it. we need to figure out how to mount the idler. i screwed up in my original post. too many beers :D its a good thing im not the one turning the wrenches, haha.
Set the Nasty Ice down and type Grimm :D. I'm still confused at where you're stuck...can you elaborate more? The idler pulley mounts to the power steering pump bracket below the pump itself. That power steering pump/idler pulley bracket mounts to the block and the water pump, but nowhere in there to the head.

0331:
Picture006.jpg

0630:
Picture007.jpg

Is that a WJ or TJ block in the first picture, on an '01 XJ there is no idler there...I'm very confused and intrigued now. Can you just bypass the idler? And, are you flipping me off in the 2nd picture :D?

GrimmJeeper said:
game over? nobody ever put an 0630 head on a wj block?
Sorry Grimm, other than actually bypassing it somehow you've reached the end of my ideas. Could you put a 96+ XJ serpentine setup on it and eliminate the idler there altogether? Similar to this...

BeltRouting001.jpg

I know up until '95 ZJs used the same tensioning system as XJs although after that, the two differed slightly. I wouldn't be surprised if you could just an XJ ps pump bracket and use the rest of the WJ stuff to make it work. Like I said, that'd be the end of my ideas...

thanks but on the newer models the ac pump is under the ps pump, and the alternator is where the ac pump used to be, and on the WJ the belt runs ps pump -> idler -> alternator i am out of ideas. we closed it up for the night.

thanks for the replies tho :cheers:

Fergie said:
Me think I'll hit the machine shop with both heads on monday, and have them drill a hole in the proper location, and call it good.
i was going to call you today, i heard you were doing the same thing on a WJ this weekend. i guess you got it all figured out :D

GrimmJeeper said:
i was going to call you today, i heard you were doing the same thing on a WJ this weekend. i guess you got it all figured out :D

You making fun of me?? :wave:

GrimmJeeper said:
Thanks dude.

Let me know if anyone has a 12 point, 13mm deep well that is actually deep enough.

Back