• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle radial and axial runout at wheel mounting hub

maxbraketorque

NAXJA Forum User
As I was installing new drums this morning on my C8.25 axle, I noticed that there is about 1/32 - 1/16 inch free axial movement and perhaps 0.005" inch of radial free play at the wheel mounting hub. My experience with other vehicles is that there should be no detectable free movement, so is this amount of movement normal for a C8.25?

As I was installing new drums this morning on my C8.25 axle, I noticed that there is about 1/32 - 1/16 inch free axial movement and perhaps 0.005" inch of radial free play at the wheel mounting hub. My experience with other vehicles is that there should be no detectable free movement, so is this amount of movement normal for a C8.25?

The end play on c-clips axles can be a lot and not un-common. How did you measure what your describing as radial play? The 8.25 uses caged needle bearings. As for end play I don't see a problem unless you are running disc brakes. I shimmed my 8.25 after installing my KJ brakes and wanted more from them.

I observed the radial runout by feel and watching and I moved the wheel mounting hub up and down with my hands. Drums were off and I moved the hub. It moved quite easily in a radial direction. I don't have a dial gauge and magnet stand at home, but for sure its at least 0.005", and is probably more. I suppose I should invest the measuring equipment to get some solid numbers.

I was surprised that I couldn't find any tolerance values in the factory service manual. It just said something to the effect that if the seal is blown or the bearing is noisy, then replace the bearing.

Amazing amount of axial free play. Would seem to be a bad thing for disk brakes as you suggest. So you tightened that up with some shims?

There was nothing out there with both the od/id correct, I went with the od and modified the id, IIRC!

I think that's where I got them from but I order so many thing's!

Back