• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan bearing - replace?

xjtrailrider said:
I hope you can find one, my local dealer no longer can get it and my bearings are squeling in the mornings on cold start. Post up when you find a new one.

Ill prolly take it off another jeep, but I did find it online at the dealer site just posted in the thread about OEM parts. Part number 5300 6548. $85

anyone figure this out yet? getting ready to pull mine apart. not sure if mine is the same setup though. ive got a 00' and dealer is telling me that their is no bearing in the a/c mount. suppose i gotta pull it apart anyway to see what is going on.

tsill said:
anyone figure this out yet? getting ready to pull mine apart. not sure if mine is the same setup though. ive got a 00' and dealer is telling me that their is no bearing in the a/c mount. suppose i gotta pull it apart anyway to see what is going on.

I just replaced mine (99) with a junkyard one. There's a bearing in it all right, but that sucker is pressed in TIGHT! The shaft is open from behind, and you can see a bearing in there. I whacked at it some and got nowhere. The bracket itself is a very funny shape, making it hard to figure out how to hold it for pressing. I imagine you'd have to make a bracket to hold the bracket, and then you might be able to press out the shaft from behind, but it would take some doing. I still have hopes of figuring out something, but I don't have a press (yet.....hmmmm....do you think I need a press?).

Matthew Currie said:
I just replaced mine (99) with a junkyard one. There's a bearing in it all right, but that sucker is pressed in TIGHT! The shaft is open from behind, and you can see a bearing in there. I whacked at it some and got nowhere. The bracket itself is a very funny shape, making it hard to figure out how to hold it for pressing. I imagine you'd have to make a bracket to hold the bracket, and then you might be able to press out the shaft from behind, but it would take some doing. I still have hopes of figuring out something, but I don't have a press (yet.....hmmmm....do you think I need a press?).

Of course you need a press. So do I.

I also need donor parts - how shot up is your old bracket? Can I still figure out mounting points, screw holes, and the bearing location from it?

5-90 said:
Of course you need a press. So do I.

I also need donor parts - how shot up is your old bracket? Can I still figure out mounting points, screw holes, and the bearing location from it?

It isn't shot up at all.... yet. Only a little chip in a casting rib so far. It just has a slightly bad bearing, which I have not yet given up on trying to press out (if I can find/make/borrow/steal a press). I have a lot of hydraulic resources, but so far haven't come up with a frame. Nothing personal, but I plan to keep it at least for a while.

My dealer found me a new one for the 90', it was on a dealer shelf in the mid-west somewhere. $85 and its good to go another 17 years. I've got a press so I will try getting the old bearings/shaft out of the old bracket. I'll post a write up and pics as soon as I have time to give it a shot.

The bearing in the cast aluminum A/C bracket can be replaced. If you have a hydralic bench press and the proper spacers you can easily press out the old
shaft and bearing. It seats up against a shoulder so be sure to press it out the back. You'll find that the shaft has a pressed on caged ball bearing
assembly and another roller bearing assembly (about an inch wide) that is
manufactured as a unit. Usually the shaft of the new unit is a little longer than the original and can be cut off to length. The bearing/shaft assembly is referred to as a "water pump shaft bearing" and if you have it with you when
you go into a mechanical power transmission /bearing supply they should be able to match it up. I have done this swap a few years ago but can't find the
receipt to give you the bearing part #. It cost about $45. Cdn.

jamie1 said:
The bearing in the cast aluminum A/C bracket can be replaced. If you have a hydralic bench press and the proper spacers you can easily press out the old
shaft and bearing. It seats up against a shoulder so be sure to press it out the back. You'll find that the shaft has a pressed on caged ball bearing
assembly and another roller bearing assembly (about an inch wide) that is
manufactured as a unit. Usually the shaft of the new unit is a little longer than the original and can be cut off to length. The bearing/shaft assembly is referred to as a "water pump shaft bearing" and if you have it with you when
you go into a mechanical power transmission /bearing supply they should be able to match it up. I have done this swap a few years ago but can't find the
receipt to give you the bearing part #. It cost about $45. Cdn.

As per my last note here.....i found the invoice from Motion Industries, Inc
and the shaft is a NSK brand "integral shaft bearing" #885586.
Motion Industries is a USA company and has a web site. I paid $31.00 cdn
in 2004 at the local branch.

jamie1 said:
As per my last note here.....i found the invoice from Motion Industries, Inc
and the shaft is a NSK brand "integral shaft bearing" #885586.
Motion Industries is a USA company and has a web site. I paid $31.00 cdn
in 2004 at the local branch.

Cool - so is that part number for just the bearings, or a bearing and shaft assembly? Also, how large a press did you need (if it was over a half-ton, I'd be surprised - but I've been surprised before...)

I have the brackets from a 99 and an 89, and they differ somewhat in how the bearings are pressed in. On the 89, the hole in the back is small, and it's clear the bearing is pressed in from the front, out from the back.

I replaced the bracket on my 99 a year or so ago, and tonight finally got around to pressing it apart. I made the mistake of pressing it out from the back, and discovered that it's pressed in from the back. So I ended up snapping off the little shoulder in the front of the casting that determines where the bearing stops. It's too bad they did it this way, because it means one must press off the pulley flange on the front first, and then press the shaft out from the front, and it doesn't look as easy to support that way.

Anyway, I have a 12 ton arbor press and it didn't take that long to snap the thing free the wrong way. If you can support the housing, I don't think you'll need a very powerful press to get it out the right way. Before you press off the flange, measure its position on the shaft, because there's no indexing for this.

Here's what the part looks like once it's out:
fanshaftfr1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

5-90 said:
Cool - so is that part number for just the bearings, or a bearing and shaft assembly? Also, how large a press did you need (if it was over a half-ton, I'd be surprised - but I've been surprised before...)

See pic. from matthew curries note.....the part # is for the shaft and intrigal
mounted bearing. There is another caged roller bearing on the shaft that you removed that is not included.and should be replaced at the same time. The best thing is to take the entire shaft assembly with you when you go to the branch store so they can see what you want.
After carefully cleaning inside the old bracket and spraying some light lube
in the shaft tube I was able to press the shaft assembly out. I have a 10 ton
press but it took very little force to push it out. Make sure you push it out the correct way. The replacement shaft may be a little longer than the original but you can cut the shaft to length to match the original.

jamie1 said:
See pic. from matthew curries note.....the part # is for the shaft and intrigal
mounted bearing. There is another caged roller bearing on the shaft that you removed that is not included.and should be replaced at the same time. The best thing is to take the entire shaft assembly with you when you go to the branch store so they can see what you want.
After carefully cleaning inside the old bracket and spraying some light lube
in the shaft tube I was able to press the shaft assembly out. I have a 10 ton
press but it took very little force to push it out. Make sure you push it out the correct way. The replacement shaft may be a little longer than the original but you can cut the shaft to length to match the original.

Just to be clear, on the 99 bracket, there was no additional bearing. The pulley end is stamped "R 325...NGK USA."

The long end of the shaft extends to the rear, but nothing is mounted on it. What you see there is all there is. I think this is a standard water pump shaft, with the impeller end unused.

yes this is an old post but... same topic. Sort of. I hit a large dip too fast bottomed out hard and the fan managed to wedge under the upper radiator support bracket and and and.. well, it pulled itself out (pressed!) about 1 1/2".
I'm assuming I cannot press it back in so I plan to pull another from pick a part this weekend.
5-90 you can have my old one.

bassthumb said:
yes this is an old post but... same topic. Sort of. I hit a large dip too fast bottomed out hard and the fan managed to wedge under the upper radiator support bracket and and and.. well, it pulled itself out (pressed!) about 1 1/2".
I'm assuming I cannot press it back in so I plan to pull another from pick a part this weekend.
5-90 you can have my old one.

Please?

Also, please be sure to include a note with application information, so I know where in the timeline it fits...

We'll probably be moving soon tho (hopefully buying this time - we're tired of renting) so I'd appreciate it if you could either send it straight away (best price) or hold on to it for a bit (say, end of August should do it.)

bassthumb said:
I can wait.... take your time to get settled.
Ed

Heh - we ain't even moved yet (Hell, we ain't even found a place yet!) but thanks!

We're just tired of all the rot from renting, and the market is finally coming down from Fantasyland, so maybe we can buy. We'd like to stay here in town (logistical reasons, mainly) but we're open to Gilroy - and we saw a house there last night that we both just loved. Nice big yard (for her) two-car garage w/carport alongside (for me,) big shed round back (for her,) big workroom round back (for me,) ...

Yeah, we'll still have to drag her mother along (damn...) but having our own place without a landlord and having room to hide will make it more tolerable. The only real benefit I've noted from having her around is the extra dependent at taxtime, and she drives me nuts even more than that's worth. And, I'm a short step away from crippling my brother-in-law...

Reawakening this again...

Fate has a horrible sense of humor. I pulled one bracket out (without pulling the AC compressor off it... I'm not dumb enough to do that up here in the rust belt, the spindly little bolts always break) and put another in because the original one had horribly bad bearings in the fan pulley mount. Put the new one in, with AC compressor, off a parts vehicle I had.

Fast forward a few weeks to today and it throws the belt. Turns out all four bolts (well, three and a half of them) had broken over the years and a half inch stump of each, packed with rust and aluminum oxide, was all that was holding the compressor in place, so the last bolt finally gave way completely and the compressor leaned forward.

Been trying to get the damned compressor bolts out, have only succeeded in breaking the stubs even shorter. :mad:

I did take the compressor off the other bracket though (the one with the bad fan bearing) and the four bolts came out without a single hitch. That has never happened to me. Sure enough, it's a full moon tonight (not kidding.)

So now I have a bracket off a 94 with a good bearing in it, and 4 solidly corroded in place AC compressor bolt stubs.

And another bracket off a 91 with a bad bearing in it, and 4 perfectly clean threaded holes for mounting the AC compressor.

I guess I'll find out if I can get the bearings out of the 94 bracket without destroying them, and the bearings out of the 91 bracket without destroying it. Time to find the gear puller and the mini arbor press...

EDIT: the mini arbor press didn't quite fit the bracket assembly, and I got frustrated. So the solution involved a gear puller to get the flange off, then a BFH to "press" the bearing out, BFH to "press" the bearing back in, and liberal oxy/ace application to make the flange expand enough to drop onto the shaft. Then I sprayed the damn thing with the garden hose till it shrank into place.

It didn't quite shrink true (so there is a fairly small amount of wobble in the pulley and fan now) and I'm sure I greatly reduced the bearing life, but I'll be able to drive it tomorrow. Ordering a new bearing assembly now, hopefully it'll arrive before the one I "pressed" out of the donor bracket and into the recipient bracket (with my BFH) blows up completely.

EDIT2: on my 91 bracket and 94 bracket (and probably later as well) it is a single-unit bearing and shaft, instead of the two bearing units that are apparently in the RENIX brackets, per post 32. Trying to find the later style bearing/shaft assembly now, using the part number Matthew Currie gave.

Last edited:
Back