• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9 inch rear

trailworthyxj

NAXJA Forum User
Asked on pirate but havent gotten much of a response yet, i think there are more people on naxja at any given time anyway.

Ive run across a small bearing, 28 spline, ford 9 inch that probably came out of an early 70's mustang for $100. The real pluses of this axle are that it is geared at 4.86:1, it is 61" wide (approx same as an XJ), and it has a 5 on 4.5 inch bolt pattern. I want to get this to replace my D35 and i will be running 33's. Obviously it is stronger than a D35, but how do you think it will hold up to the 33's with a mini spool? I will upgrade to a big bearing 31 spline full width in the future and prob reuse the gears, but for now this sounds like a sweet upgrade. Opinions? Should i get it?

trailworthyxj said:
Asked on pirate but havent gotten much of a response yet, i think there are more people on naxja at any given time anyway.

Ive run across a small bearing, 28 spline, ford 9 inch that probably came out of an early 70's mustang for $100. The real pluses of this axle are that it is geared at 4.86:1, it is 61" wide (approx same as an XJ), and it has a 5 on 4.5 inch bolt pattern. I want to get this to replace my D35 and i will be running 33's. Obviously it is stronger than a D35, but how do you think it will hold up to the 33's with a mini spool? I will upgrade to a big bearing 31 spline full width in the future and prob reuse the gears, but for now this sounds like a sweet upgrade. Opinions? Should i get it?

4.86:1? what are you going to do with the gearing for the front. never seen a d30 with 4.86? do you mean 4.56?

It sounds like in the end the only part of the axle you are going to keep is the gears. Why go through all of the work of swapping axles twice? Go ahead and build the full width 9" and run wheel spacers up front to match width and bolt pattern.

The small bearing 28 spline axles aren't all that strong. 31 spline axles are a must for anything bigger than 33s.

89xj said:
4.86:1? what are you going to do with the gearing for the front. never seen a d30 with 4.86? do you mean 4.56?
4.88 would be the equivalent

Back