• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head light upgrade?

anyone have any input on headlight upgrade with the recent rain mine are not up to par

Upgrade the headlight harness first, the Factory wiring is inadequately sized. You will see an immediate increase in brightness.

Upgraded headlights range from Sllverstars, to a variety of LEDs in a wide range of price and quality. Others can comment .
With upgraded wiring, H4 housings can be used which have a sharp low beam cutoff, allowing higher wattage bulbs to be used.
I have run IPF housings for years, along with Hella 80/100-watt bulbs.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_1600.htm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COBLKW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After you do the harness if you still want more just do us all a favor if you want LED lights then spend the money for good ones. Cheap china junk has really poor cut offs and blinds the crap out of ohers.

LOL i just ordered some LED for 100$ on ebay then saw your post about bleeping jeep and upgrade the harness im impressed may revert back to stock and do the harness that harness trick looks like a universal product i will probably get this as well for another vehicle now that im aware of it

+1 on the harness. I'm running it with stock sealed beams and really happy with it. Ran it with silverstars on my last XJ and it was almost too bright.

LOL i just ordered some LED for 100$ on ebay then saw your post about bleeping jeep and upgrade the harness im impressed may revert back to stock and do the harness that harness trick looks like a universal product i will probably get this as well for another vehicle now that im aware of it
Last time I changed a headlight on my RENIX Jeep, I measured a 2-1/4 Volt drop from the battery to the headlight. Not running that current through the switch on the dash makes a huge difference.

1, Harness
2. Lamp and Bulbs

This Headlight Services harness is XJ specific, high quality, and installs easily (a hour or so) with a factory like finish. http://www.headlightservices.com/CherokeeHarness.html

I also installed Hella E-Code lamps and some 55-100 Osram bulbs. My experience with installing high quality lamps and bulbs without the harness made only a slight difference not any real upgrade - due to the inherent voltage problem in the XJ..

The lights on my XJ are now very bright, safe, and there is no need on my Jeep for any additional lighting system.

After you do the harness if you still want more just do us all a favor if you want LED lights then spend the money for good ones. Cheap china junk has really poor cut offs and blinds the crap out of ohers.

Agreed. I just loooovvvveee the "how many LEDs can we cram in this housing" so called upgraded lights.

This really depends on the housing and LED's used.

I've got some Amazon (Beamtech) drop in LED's in Hella E-Code H4 housings.

The light is great, and the cutoff just as good as incandescent bulbs.

I did try the same LED's in Autopal housings...complete crap.

I run Beamtech LED's as well (Amazon) in my F-350's housings. Cutoff on those is fantastic as well. HID's in those housings...crap.

I love LED's, less draw and better light.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of Hella E-codes, a harness upgrade, and Hella 90/100W bulbs. Ran that setup for years before the buggy was a buggy. You can find the Hella bulbs rather cheap as well (like less than $10 a pair), since the higher wattage bulbs have a shorter life.

Do the Beamtech LEDs, for the E-code housing, fit without trimming the back of the headlight buckets?
I have used IPF housings for years and like the cutoff, the Autopals are junk in comparison, thin glass, poorly focused and easy to break.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Hea...073ZD9ZPX/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I ordered this harness from Amazon, it's actually a Hella product. Far nicer than the Putco harness I've used. And yes, the pictures on Amazon are not what I actually got.
http://tinyurl.com/y5t66zwy

Last edited:
I reccomend you if you are going to buy an upgrade Harness go and check it our, K-suspension Harness, they sell it for 25 dlls only, with free shiping and preety fast.

This really depends on the housing and LED's used.

I run Beamtech LED's as well (Amazon) in my F-350's housings. Cutoff on those is fantastic as well. HID's in those housings...crap.

I love LED's, less draw and better light.

Did you have an issue with the Beamtech LEDs staying in high beam mode all the time no matter the position of the high/low beam switch?

I've tried several different LED options and finally ended up w/the a set of JW Speakers newest. The color and beam pattern are spectacular and although they are very expensive for us XJ owners, they are worth it ... at least to me.

I've also upgraded the wiring harness and for a long time ran the Hella E-Codes, then the IPF E-Codes... both were WAY better than stock. Problem I had was that running any bulbs higher than factory 55/65W and they'd last all of about 3-4 months before blowing. Every time, no matter the brand of bulb. After spending hundreds and hundreds on several other lights, I finally did the buy-once-cry-once route and got the JW Speakers. One of the best investments I've made on my 2001 XJ.

I installed Beamtech H4 LED conversions in my Hella Vision Plus housings. They fit fine in my 1999 XJ.

REF: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I did run into a problem in my 99 XJ. The LED headlights have caused the lights to remain on high beam all the time no matter the position of the high/low beam switch. I contacted Beamtech and they believe a wire harness with the proper load resister will resolve the issue. They are sending me a load resister harness to me free of charge. Hopefully that will resolve the issue as it will produce a load on the headlight wiring equivalent to a halogen bulb. I should receive the harness in about a week.

Back