• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Awnign

Chase2

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any experience with these ARB awnings? Seems like a great way to make some quick shade while making lunch or whatever wheeling. Plus I don't have to lug around an ez up. But also looks like it could quickly turn into a pain in the arse just as fast.

I meet a guy a few months ago that made his own awning that was pretty genius. He got a 3" PVC pipe the length of his roof rack, put caps on it and drilled holes on each end, then slid a 1-2" PVC pipe inside of it that had a tarp attached to it. The 3" pipe on the outside had a slit cut into one side where the tarp would come out. It was kinda neat and coated with bed liner, it looked good. Not sure what he used for post though... PVC?

Last edited:
I had a camping lab awning that is about 99% the same as the ARB. it was about $200.00 and worth every penny...Both are made in the same factory in china out of some pretty high quality materials.

Very robust, very easy to setup with one person, and like you said, it creates instant shade or a damn good rain cover, right next to your rig.

Definitely not a replacement for a quality easy up that can be placed anywhere, but for something that is tucked out of the way, weighs like 15lbs, can be converted into a bug-proof room by zipping on a few panels...it really can't be beat.

I'm going to get a stubby one for the back of my rig that will serve as a sun/rain cover when I'm tailgating or grilling/cooking out of the back of my rig...

Fernando at Camping Lab is good people, but then again ARB is quality too. Can't go wrong with either one.

BTW, the 79" one is about right for an XJ, with about a foot sticking past the windshield if you make it even with the rear hatch.

I just mounted mine with some homemade brackets on a set of thule bars. Easy-peasy...

I had a camping lab awning that is about 99% the same as the ARB. it was about $200.00 and worth every penny...Both are made in the same factory in china out of some pretty high quality materials.

Very robust, very easy to setup with one person, and like you said, it creates instant shade or a damn good rain cover, right next to your rig.

Definitely not a replacement for a quality easy up that can be placed anywhere, but for something that is tucked out of the way, weighs like 15lbs, can be converted into a bug-proof room by zipping on a few panels...it really can't be beat.

I'm going to get a stubby one for the back of my rig that will serve as a sun/rain cover when I'm tailgating or grilling/cooking out of the back of my rig...

Fernando at Camping Lab is good people, but then again ARB is quality too. Can't go wrong with either one.

BTW, the 79" one is about right for an XJ, with about a foot sticking past the windshield if you make it even with the rear hatch.

I just mounted mine with some homemade brackets on a set of thule bars. Easy-peasy...

Cool thanks for the input! My theory is that Ill spend about 150 bucks on an ez up but then i have to make room for it in the heep. With the awning its utilizing space that is really never used. How sturdy is it in the wind though?

Try this... If you are resourceful enough you can build one yourself...

Read it anyway, even if you don't. It's got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. Oh, and click on his drawings they are very ummm... Informational?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/65647-How-to-build-a-quality-awning-for-less-than-100

hahaha no kidding! So im finally going to join ExPo. and they are asking me for a referrer. Ill put you down if you have an account.

Cool thanks for the input! My theory is that Ill spend about 150 bucks on an ez up but then i have to make room for it in the heep. With the awning its utilizing space that is really never used. How sturdy is it in the wind though?

Very, very sturdy if you use the two tie down guys/ropes they supply...i've had it in gusts up to about 15-20 mph un-guyed and it was still rock solid. If its not guyed and a big gust catches under it, it of course is going to act like a big sail, but anything other than that its good-to-go.

Back