• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Gear Pattern Check Please

Begster

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I was just hoping that some of the gear guru's would just take a look at this pattern for me.

HP44
Backlash: 0.007" (spec: 0.006-0.010")
Pinion bearing preload 0.016" (spec: 0.014"-0.019")

Drive:
DSC_2381.jpg

Coast:

DSC_2380.jpg

Frank Z said:
Whats the backlash reading?
0.007"

I know its a little tight, I might add a 0.003" shim to the non ring gear side, and see how that works

Backlash is fine... leave it and run it like that. Very nice!

looks pretty good. i'd call it a day and drive gently.

Awesome thanks guys, thats what I wanted to hear. Now to take it all apart again and press on the bearings.

asp387 - I recognize that rock in your picture.

Expect minor variation if the new bearings aren't of the same brand.

BTDT

Begster said:
Awesome thanks guys, thats what I wanted to hear. Now to take it all apart again and press on the bearings.

asp387 - I recognize that rock in your picture.

the picture makes the line look more impressive than it really is :gee: it's at the gutter...

good luck with the last part.

Begster said:
Pinion bearing preload 0.016"(spec: 0.014"-0.019")
???Pinion pre-load isnt a dimension,its a rotational resistance measured in in/lbs!

RCP Phx said:
???Pinion pre-load isnt a dimension,its a rotational resistance measured in in/lbs!
ha, your right, my bad. Pre-load is 16 inch/pounds. Had been dealing with measuring so much shims and the backlash I got messed up.

Good pattern, How many tries with the pinion depth? My best is one, My worst was 13 tries.
You get damn sick of gears after 13 removals and insertions of the pinion. LOL

13 tries!!! That's kinda amazing. I usually hit it on the 4th or 5th. I start with a shim that's 3/4 of what was in there which is almost always not enough. Then I double it up which is usually too much, but by looking at the pattern I can usually guess pretty close on the next one and then fine tune it one or two times. I also use a slightly higher preload 20 to 25 inch lbs with new bearings since they loosen up pretty quickly.

I was having a bad day. My average is 3 or 4 times. I've done well over 30 set up's.
I agree on the higher preload for new bearings. I also try to run the back lash on the tight side as the carrier bearings will settle in some as well.

I've recently had new gears fitted to my D44 HD, 4.56 ratios to be specific. However, there is a humming noise on the overrun, i.e. when I'm coasting and the speed comes down to about 60km/h the humming noise is at it's loudest. If at that point I touch the throttle to put some drive back to the axle, it all goes quiet. The sound is similar to the mud terrain tyres humming, just a slightly higher pitch.

I'll be taking the car back to have it checked out, but any suggestions what gear situation would cause such a sound under those conditions.

Sorry, been busy and forgot to check here.

I'm not really sure how many tries it took me to get it straight, but I know I took that pinion out a good amount of times, it was my first install after all.

You guys say you like to set the preload a little higher, I have mine at 16 in/lbs right now, what will happen when the bearings loosen up a bit?

I haven't had time to work on anything since the weekend, so I'll be pressing on the carrier bearings tomorrow, does adding 0.005" shims to each side for carrier bearing preload seem good? I read somewhere that they suggested 0.003"-0.005" depending on how loose they left the carrier.

gorman said:
I've recently had new gears fitted to my D44 HD, 4.56 ratios to be specific. However, there is a humming noise on the overrun, i.e. when I'm coasting and the speed comes down to about 60km/h the humming noise is at it's loudest. If at that point I touch the throttle to put some drive back to the axle, it all goes quiet. The sound is similar to the mud terrain tyres humming, just a slightly higher pitch.

I'll be taking the car back to have it checked out, but any suggestions what gear situation would cause such a sound under those conditions.
That sounds like pinion bearings backing off.

Back