• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camping - Moab KOA

Alright! Just booked a KOA Cabin for JeepinSeal and myself. I can't wait

I didn't see any events listed on their site, do you just put it in the notes? Also, do they offer a military discount?

Not sure about military but put NAXJA event in the notes and they should try to group us together.

mac ‘what I was advised’ gyvr

I tried calling them and the voicemail said they're closed until March, oh well.

Yup no one is answering the phone until sometime in March.

In the first post I requested folks to put NAXJA event in the comments line and then to Pm or email me if they make a reservation. Then in March or April I can contact them and make sure they are putting our group together the best they can.

mac ‘reserve early, its gonna be full’ gyvr

I'm goin to see if Moab Rim has any cabins available during that time. They're significantly cheaper for cabins. If not, then I'll tent it up at the KOA.

Awesome! Got a 3 bedroom house half-mile at most from KOA... JeepinSeal, Goose XJ88 and myself(TwinHauler). I am really excited to explore Moab and area around moab!

for those tent camping, am i reading the site correctly? 47 bucks for a tent site with no electrical or water? are there no sites with hook ups(tent wise)?

anyone know their thoughts on generators? not full time of coarse but run one long enough to recharge batteries on a primitive site.

also, locals, can you give us 1st timers some info on weather and what not to be prepared. early/mid oct what are some camping essentials i need to bring?(this question may need its owe thread...)

for those tent camping, am i reading the site correctly? 47 bucks for a tent site with no electrical or water? are there no sites with hook ups(tent wise)?

anyone know their thoughts on generators? not full time of coarse but run one long enough to recharge batteries on a primitive site.

also, locals, can you give us 1st timers some info on weather and what not to be prepared. early/mid oct what are some camping essentials i need to bring?(this question may need its owe thread...)

Looks like $42 a night for a tent, no electric. Save 10% if you are a KOA rewards member. You could always charge in your car with a car charger or run a little inverter too. I'm not sure the policy on a generator.

You could come hang out at my RV and charge your stuff too while we have adult beverages.

The average temps for October are 70 for a high and 40s for a low.

mac 'sweet you are coming!' gyvr

mac 'sweet you are coming!' gyvr

we are researching. i was surprised to see the price of the camp site. out here(you know) no electric/no water typically about 5/10 bucks a night.

for us it will include. buying a trailer. getting the days off. getting the jeep ready. and figuring out the kids.

are you bringing the kids? are you bringing them on the trails?

ill have more questions. we may want to start a MOAB newbie thread. i think i will go do that.

Considering guys are paying $150/night to hotel..

Theres likely water and bathrooms close to the tent sites.

mac ‘my rv site wasn’t cheap either’ gyvr

Considering the options between tent or cabin at the KOA or renting a place on VBRO or Homeaway.
How are the cabins? Have they been updated recently?
We'd like to be near the group but we may not be able to afford it.

Scott 'it's been 15 years since my last Moab trip' Mac.:scottm:

Just reserved a cabin for the wife and I from the 9th thru the 14th. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones!
Rich
NAC VP

we are researching. i was surprised to see the price of the camp site. out here(you know) no electric/no water typically about 5/10 bucks a night.

for us it will include. buying a trailer. getting the days off. getting the jeep ready. and figuring out the kids.

are you bringing the kids? are you bringing them on the trails?

ill have more questions. we may want to start a MOAB newbie thread. i think i will go do that.

I'll chime in. I see you have a lot on your plate to make it out. My wife and I had many of the same obstacles and reservations leading up to our excursion to Colorado fest in 2011. Major expenses, planning, etc..
It was the best thing we ever did and there will never be any regrets for us. Ever.
Once more we head into the breach, for one simple reason. If not now when? We spent more days on the road towing to and from than we actually had at the event, because of work schedules. But if we used them as our metric, well, we may as well stay home and die wondering what if. I fully expect this one will change our lives iike that did. Dare to reach out.

Considering the options between tent or cabin at the KOA or renting a place on VBRO or Homeaway.
How are the cabins? Have they been updated recently?
We'd like to be near the group but we may not be able to afford it.

Scott 'it's been 15 years since my last Moab trip' Mac.:scottm:

The information that we were able to gather was that these cabins at the Moab KOA are much nicer than the cabins at slick rock campground...those haven't been updated in decades. One reason that we picked the KOA.

I'll be calling and working with the KOA to try to get the campsites as close together as possible at the KOA.

mac 'we want you near the group too' gyvr

At least from local experience anyway, I've not been to a koa yet that didn't have nice bathhouses for those in tents and simple cabins. Ouray Colorado koa was the same, just enough for our needs. I doubt moabs would be any different. We tented for Colorado fest and wanted for nothing. The only reason we're getting a small cabin is that it's less stuff to haul from NJ, saving some space, and no setup time once we get there. Just bring your bags and some pillows in and you're good to go. As NAC VP, I've even been doing it for our own event past years. A little more money, for sure, but saving time/space/aggravation is well worth it if you're so inclined.

Just Booked tent site at the KOA OCt 8-12

I think that's what we are paying for a cabin next campsite over from KOA. I'll just walk to the camp fires from there

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Back