• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble going into park

jrowell

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes shifting into park, the shifter won't go past Reverse. I have to wiggle a bit to get it into park. Possible causes? Caused by shifter or in trans?

Last edited:
Could be either. Get a helper. Jack it up. Key on but DO NOT START. Have helper shift back and forth while you look underneath to see if there's an binding or looseness. You can pop the shift bezel out too and look at the shifter end.

Give the top of the shifter a good thump and make sure it's seated all the way down too.

My first guess would be the shift handle isn't seated all the way down, the plastic ring with locking tabs can get sloppy. The plastic wedge the side button moves can have a groove worn in it and/or the plastic rod going down the middle of the shifter is worn. A little play here and a little there adds up.

Mine had a pronounced groove in the plastic wedge, I filled it with epoxy and filed it flush. Took a few coats of epoxy, trying to get it all in one pass gets messy quick. TIP anything you don't want the epoxy to stick too gets a light coat of grease.:)

Back