• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New tires

Thehowler

NAXJA Forum User
Shopping for tires today I was talking to a salesperson at Discount tire. The salesman was telling me the Cooper Discoverer tires were much better on ice, and a lot quieter than the Goodyear Duratracs. Is this fact, and just opinion?

I don't know about that, but I chose Duratrac's 10yrs ago(for Ouray,Colorado) and now will not run anything else.

I've been happy with my Discoverer AT3s. Quiet on the road and good for trips to the snow on Mt Hood on the weekends. Never run the Duratracs, so I can't compare, but I've been pleased with the AT3s. I do have the 4S compound, which is supposed to be better for snow and ice, so that's something to take into account, I know there are a few versions of that tire.

I recently gave away some 1/2 used Discover AT3 because they would not balance, not even on a Road Force Balancer, and one of them had a flat spot. YMMV.

I just purchased a second set of Kuhmo Road Venture AT/51's for Minnesota winter snow/ice and summer thunderstorms. The AT/51 balanced easily, wear well, look good, and give very good winter traction and wet highway grip. Goodyear Duratracs do get excellent reviews also.

Last edited:
Shopping for tires today I was talking to a salesperson at Discount tire. The salesman was telling me the Cooper Discoverer tires were much better on ice, and a lot quieter than the Goodyear Duratracs. Is this fact, and just opinion?

Just keep in mind that their profit margins are higher on the house brands like Cooper versus name brands like Duratracs.

Goodyear duratracs are good on the ice. As a former tire dealer I can tell Goodyears are usually one of the better ice tires due to compound patents Goodyear holds.

I've never had a better tire than duratracs, I've run two sets and that tires eats any terrain, snow and ice indefinitely. They don't die out like bff a/t when your down to 1/3 tread. They always hook up well.

Back