• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Use a jeep as a tractor?

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
I gonna move soon and hope to end up with some land. I've got a little MTD lawn tractor that a friend gave me, but a larger one won't be in the budget for a while. So I was thinking of getting one of those powered tow-behind rough cut mowers for clearing a field with my xj. I like the idea of mowing the lawn with a stereo and air conditioning. Anyone ever try this? Sould like it'll work?

Also, I saw that someone makes a trailer for ATVs that has a 3 point hitch, with a winch for raising the arms. Could I use this and a box blade with the jeep for driveway maintenance and leveling fields if I get the notion?

I think I'd put in a hand throttle to make the tasks easier. Any other modifications to think about?

I've done both. No major problems, long stretches in low range and my temperatures did creep up though.
I made a square drag, angle iron. a section of chain link fence and a few cement parking lot stops. Worked like a charm. Cut most of the weeds and left much of the grass.
Also made a drag from angle iron (inverted V) and again some weight, to knock the crown off of access roads.
Cutters gave me a bit more of a problem, when they jam it can cause a heck of a jar. Wear your seatbelt. I always seemed to find a chunk of steel fence post or an old tree root, that would stop me in my tracks.

The old post war CJ's had a rear PTO to which many farming impliments could be attached. I don't see why an XJ couldn't be used if the right equipment can be connected. The XJ doesn't have a PTO but I would think it's strudy enough to do anything the little old CJ could do.

Hell Yeah! My grandfather used to use an old CJ5 to plow his fields. Tell me that don't leave an impression on a young Jeeper to be. He had a bad leg, and the CJ was easier for him to use than a tractor. Your XJ should perform just fine. Just be prepaired for the looks you will get from the bystanders :huh:

Also make sure that rear hitch is using ALL the mounting points on the frame rails and that the inserts are in good condition. There are some farmers up here that use CJ's and a few YJ's for field work, never seen it done with a XJ or a ZJ though :D :D :D

Towing gang mowers should not be an issue though I would think they will need their own engines unless you can figure out a PTO of some sort unless the turning of the wheels will operate the blades. :D
Sounds cool but not cool enough that I woul want more than the septic tank, drainage field and the 4ft border around the road side of my corner property, the rest is all woods.

Just don't try to pull good sized stumps with it. I will post a pic. later to explain why this was not a good idea. Thanks be that it wasn't MY Jeep, but, now, I get to fix it. Stupid kid. And yeah, the hitch was mounted using all of the factory holes.

The pull behind mower should work just fine. I'd be a little warier of a weight bearing hitch like a 3-point hitch on an XJ, partly because the vehicle is so light, You might have traction problems unless you counterweight the front end. Unfortunately there's no really convenient way to fit a PTO either. Back in the good old days, the Dana transfer cases and many of the transmissions had a provision for a PTO. and you could buy the kit with shafts and bearings to send it forward or back. Nowadays, if you wanted to outfit an XJ for PTO, I think a hydraulic pump and motor would work better.

I've thought seriously of trying to set up my rusted but strong running 95 with a big snowblower. Skid steer loaders often use hydraulically operated accessories, and I figure a pump in place of the AC compressor could open up a lot of possibilities.

A Jeep is nothing more than a tractor, designed to drive comfortably at 55 mph......

Hell, skid steers are nothing but a hydralic( yea, yea spelling) operated accessory

Back