• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ stumbles then shuts off when warmed up. P0171

If the regulator were on the rail it would be right next to where the fuel line connects to the rail, up at the front of the engine. And there would be a return line too.

Odds are you have no regulator and no return line.

Be careful with the fuel pump module when you pull it out of the tank. You really don't want to need to replace that assembly. I understand Crown now makes one, but I would much rather take care of an original than place my hopes on Crown's quality control.

Be careful with the fuel pump module when you pull it out of the tank. You really don't want to need to replace that assembly. I understand Crown now makes one, but I would much rather take care of an original than place my hopes on Crown's quality control.

I can confirm the Crown fuel module's sender (fuel level) is completely useless - I guess they couldnt be bothered to replicate the 'unique to the '96' strip and just used one from another model. If it is your fuel pump module you can transplant the old sending unit (magnetic strip in an arc) to the new one - it just unclips. Otherwise everything else (pump and regulator) is working fine after 3 years

This is the chap you want to transfer from the current fuel pump module to the new one (unless you are super lucky and find one NOS - yes, they were a separate part!)

Just to add info to this thread... I had a similar issue this past weekend. Once it hit full operating temp it would studder and die... changed iac as that made sense in my mind since it only died near idle... no luck.. turns out it was the "new" cam pos sensor from napa that was installed 1 year and 5k miles ago.... put the oem 400k mile one I had in the spare parts bucket and have had no issues... just food for thought.

I'm headed to the junkyard soon to grab every compatable sensor I can find. The parts store garbage can burn in hell, as that is all they are worth

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Also my jeep is a 96 as well. When my fuel pump assembly took a crap I made it a return system using a generic fuel regulator mounted on the front fender... see it to~50LBS and it has worked fine for 10 years and over 100k miles.... it was relatively quick to do

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Quick follow up, I got called out of town and off comms for a week for work. Will be going out to where the xj is today and likely trailering it home so I can work on it without having to watch my back. Probably stop at the car wash to pressure wash the snakes out, too. Cam Pos sensor is getting replaced first whether it needs to be or not. I also need to look over the wiring again. The cps wires had wire nuts on them when I bought it, I butt spliced them properly, but I could have missed something.

Probably stop at the car wash to pressure wash the snakes out, too.

Dang.

And I thought mice and spiders were a PITA.

I guess this falls in line with the "Everything's bigger in Texas" theme.

Dang.

And I thought mice and spiders were a PITA.

I guess this falls in line with the "Everything's bigger in Texas" theme.

Bigger, and more plentiful. It's copperhead, rattler, and alligator baby season down here. Watching your step is a key method in keeping your leg.

Bigger, and more plentiful. It's copperhead, rattler, and alligator baby season down here. Watching your step is a key method in keeping your leg.

I was driving to work one morning 60 mph a snake sticks his head out of the windshield defrost vent on my xj scared the crap outta me at first I stopped at the local Tudor's restaurant where I saw it was a garter snake so I drove on to work one of my coworkers caught the dam thing and threw it out I used to have pictures of it but I lost them

Egads!

I am okay with rattlers. Grew up with them all over the place. They at least give you a courtesy warning before they try to kill you.

Copperheads, those worry me. Very well camoflaged and no courtesy warning. No thanks. I will stick with my rattlesnakes.

Anak; Copperheads said:
We have those here in my neck of NJ too. Back in the 70s after my folks bought their house, the old lady next door told them that copperheads give off a cucumber smell (not sure if all the time, or only when shedding their skins).

Thankfully, neither my folks, my sister, nor I have ever have had occasion to put that little tidbit a practical test...

I had similar problems with one of my XJs. It was defective relays. Replaced the relays and my problems were solved. Relays are typically electro-mechanical devices and the contacts corrode and open the contacts/open circuits. Your fuel pump relay maybe opening and shutting off the fuel pump.

Best regards,

CJR

Had this exact issue on my 96. Cps sensor replaced and good to go. I bought a spare to keep in the truck.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Sooooooooo
I’ve literally replaced everything.
Warms up fine. Once I get to op temp, stumbles and shuts down.

If I disconnect the battery for a minute, then put it back on, it fires right up.

X2 on cps, just had similar issues with mine randomly shutting down when hot. 5 minute cool down and it would fire right back up. New cps solved it.

X2 on cps, just had similar issues with mine randomly shutting down when hot. 5 minute cool down and it would fire right back up. New cps solved it.

I thought the exact same thing because the symptoms are so similar. Unfortunately, even after replacing the cps, the issue persists. No codes, just stumble then shut down at operating temperature.

I replaced the pcm when i bought it (reman from FS1), due to some blown injector drivers. Going to put the old one back in since I've repaired it, and test to see if the one I've been using has some kind of fault.

Need to find a detailed explanation of what changes when the engine reaches operating temperature. There has to be some simple thing I'm missing.

My '96 has one temp sender in the T-stat housing and a second one at the back of the head.

Back