• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sideways steering???

d10shun

NAXJA Forum User
Everytime I go wheeling and hit the asphalt, my steering wheel gets more and more jacked up. My wheels want to go right and to counter this my steering wheel must go left. I just wheeled Chivo Falls, Tucson (awesome trail!) and now my steering is turned 90 degrees to the left when I am traveling straight. What is slipping? My steering box gears? Pitman? Should I just remove the pitman and place it back on in the straight position?

I´d check the trac bar, top joint for play. Could be other steering parts causing this problem, but the trac bar, often seems to be much of the problem. Twice a year (at least) I have buddy turn the steering wheel, left and right (a couple of inches), repeatadly and have a close look (with a flashlight) at every joint. Very little play a certain places, can translate into a lot of play, at the steering wheel. And cause your Jeep to wander some.

I'm sure you would have checked by now but have you checked to make sure the steering box isn't tearing itself off? Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Mike B.

Yes, my trac bar is always loose! I tighten it every other week. It came the the procomp lift that's on my rig. Right after I tighten and turn while driving I hear it CLANG as if it is binding. I was going to post this as another thread. Is this a separate problem?

I have not looked at my box yet; I just got home this evening. I am looking into a steering box brace though.

Look for cracks here:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The jury is out on the steering box brace. You can see my Rusty's brace in the photo that was installed for 2 years up until the time the frame cracked. Some guys have never run a brace and have not had problems with cracks. I think you are screwed either way, just have the frame reinforced now 'cause you will have to do it eventually. :(

My frame is not cracked and all the bolts are tight. I noticed a creaking noise when I turn left hard. Are these the worm gears or whatever is inside slipping? Do I need a new box and if so what type should I get?

Actually, you are bending the drag link. The big bend in it will bend which will make the steering wheel different each time you wheel it.

You might want to put a newer year one on it, if you have an older XJ, or upgrade to a Currie HD steering one.

mark

Okay, I might have found the prob but I am not sure. My drag link did take a hit. It is not straight - it has a bend in it on the last 8-10 inches or so on the passenger side along with a scrape from a rock. The bend is towards the rear of the truck. Is this normal or a self inflicted wound? Any stock pictures out there?
Ben

Back