• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Merce-Jeep photos

Vee Dubb

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, finally got around to taking some pics of the mercedes 300 turbo diesel in my MJ. Figured some of you would get a kick out of this......

Last edited:
So far, I've been clocking 21mpg average, but that is with 31's, a 4.10 rear, and excessive speeding on the highway.

With a new rear end, smaller tires (dare I say that) and some normal driving, I'm hoping 25 or better.

80's model ford mustang r&p. Actually it's doing REAL nice. It makes for a weird ride in the rough stuff, but then again the 3" lift springs are way too stiff. On the highway, though, it rocks.

That is for sure very cool...would have expected better milage though..

I'm trying real hard not to say the word "disappointed".
oops. too late.
I really did expect something in the 27mpg range. The 300SD sedan the motor and tranny came out of weighs in a half ton more than the MJ. I figured minus 1k lbs, plus 0 aerodynamics, times the tailgate...
I'm not sure where I was going with that but yeah, still hoping to achieve atleast 25mpg after the gearing and tire change. This is, afterall, a predominantly on-road truck. Unless it's a long way to the fishing hole.

Running the merc tranny. I like it so far, just need to build a shifter console for the mercedes shifter, but I need bucket seats for that.

Yeah, cursing and beer. It took several months worth of cursing and beer!

Last edited:
Vee Dubb said:
... Unless it's a long way to the fishing hole.

kudo's for trying something different, but running rack & pinion steering on a solid axle, that bump steer must be killer. The drive to the fishing hole is gonna seem a lot longer that it really is...

Believe it or not, tho the general consensus agrees with you....
The bump steer is un-noticeable. Quite frankly, I think it's less.
The steering is a bit .... <i> different </i> ... but nice and tight otherwise.

since it would be impossible to use rack & pinion steering with a solid axle and not have major bump steer, I'll have to assume you don't know what bump steer is.

describe "<i> different </i>"

Not trying to be a dick, but if you try to present rack & pinion steering as a viable option, some others may end up wasting a bunch of time and money on something that they will have to end up removing or worse still, will result in dumping the abortion on an ususpecting buyer.

Last edited:
MaXJohnson said:
since it would be impossible to use rack & pinion steering with a solid axle and not have major bump steer, I'll have to assume you don't know what bump steer is.

describe "<i> different </i>"

actually he wont get bumpsteer, not at least how we with stock style steering are use to it. He will get a change in toe on both tires in opposite directions (mostly toe in on both sides). As his suspension moves the inner tie rods will move in an arch effectively shorten pulling the tire in toward the rack.
A traditional inverted y or drag link style is going to move the tires in the same direction (one in, one out, vice-versa), thats what causes bumpsteer.

His issue would feel 'different' and will cause weird handling and steering over rough roads compaired to the traditional setup, and eventually wierd tire wear. Probably not 'felt' in the wheel as a kick, or a sudden jerk in a direction like bumpsteer.

So, I dont know if you call his bumpsteer, but I guess it could be considered a type.

that fab is ugly though.

edit: is that rack mounted directly to the axle?? that changes everything.... but I still dont see how this would cause bumpsteer? maybe weird steering wheel movement due to the steering shaft moving with the suspension....

I also just read his other thread....I wasnt taking in the axle shifting due to the trackbar. Im not sure it would move enoough to have a large effect, but if it does the effect would really cause weird changes in toe.

Last edited:
fordtech said:
actually he wont get bumpsteer, not at least how we with stock style steering are use to it. He will get a change in toe on both tires in opposite directions (mostly toe in on both sides). As his suspension moves the inner tie rods will move in an arch effectively shorten pulling the tire in toward the rack.
A traditional inverted y or drag link style is going to move the tires in the same direction (one in, one out, vice-versa), thats what causes bumpsteer.

His issue would feel 'different' and will cause weird handling and steering over rough roads compaired to the traditional setup, and eventually wierd tire wear. Probably not 'felt' in the wheel as a kick, or a sudden jerk in a direction like bumpsteer.

So, I dont know if you call his bumpsteer, but I guess it could be considered a type.

that fab is ugly though.

edit: is that rack mounted directly to the axle?? that changes everything.... but I still dont see how this would cause bumpsteer? maybe weird steering wheel movement due to the steering shaft moving with the suspension....

I also just read his other thread....I wasnt taking in the axle shifting due to the trackbar. Im not sure it would move enoough to have a large effect, but if it does the effect would really cause weird changes in toe.
Bumpsteer is defined as a change in the toe or steering angle of a wheel resulting from vertical (up or down) movement of the wheel. Toe, as defined by the SAE is a measure of the angle of the wheel relative to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle. The wheel is "toed-in" if the forward portion of the wheel is turned toward the longitudinal axis and "toed-out" if turned away. Toe is a measure of the individual wheel, not necessarily the angle, away from parallel, of the wheel pair.

In other words, the change in toe of either or both of the wheels resulting from vertical wheel movement is bump-steer. Whether or not this is felt at the steering wheel, and to what extent is not germane to the definition.

If we consider your concept of bumpsteer to be correct, we have to assume the SAE is wrong.

MaXJohnson said:
If we consider your concept of bumpsteer to be correct, we have to assume the SAE is wrong.

Ok, I never said it wasnt bumpsteer, just that I wasnt sure if it was concidered bumpsteer compaired to what we are use to. So according to what you have posted it is bumpsteer.
Thanks for checking that out!

fordtech said:
I never said it wasnt bumpsteer...
fordtech said:
actually he wont get bumpsteer...

nothing to check out; your post speaks for itself ;)

Ok, I'll try to sum it up in the nicest way possible.

My version of bumpsteer, is when the steering wheel is taken from you either from a bump, dip, etc. The feeling I get out of the steering isn't what I would consider bumpsteer, nor is it a setup I would suggest anyone else try on their rig. It is definately NOT a good setup for off-roading. But it has made for a nice road rig.

Please don't degrade my already ugly fab job. It is made completely out of scrap metal, didn't cost me a dime, and quite frankly I didn't expect it to work in the first place. I'm just tickled to damn death that it's made it this far. Now that I have the miles on it to calm my mind that YES, it will in fact work and do what I want it to do, and that the motor isn't going to rip my unibody truck in half... THEN it's "make it pretty" time. First on that list is new motor mounts, then crossbar, etc.

All in all, purpose of this project is because <i> I </i> wanted a diesel pickup.
I get a kick out of it because it's a jeep, AND because it's mercedes. Both of which I have a pretty decent admiration of.

Just for the record.....
***DISCLAIMER***
Please do not try any of this on YOUR rig. I do not suggest, imply, warranty, guarantee, etc., that anything that I did on my toy pickup will last long enough on your rig to even allow you to exit the driveway safely. Everything you have seen here has been just for shits and giggles, and in no way implies conformity with any laws, whether practical or natural, nor does anything I do represent any form of logic, so please don't try this at home.

All the hippies happy now?

Ok, So far, the little truck has got me tickled to death. I couldn't be happier with how it came out. The simple fact that it actually drives down the street without fear of falling to pieces is a good thing. One day, maybe, either after the lotto pays off or something similar, I will try my hand at painting and body work. But for now, ugly seems to keep me happy. I've seen some mighty fine looking rides broke down on the side of the road, with overdressed yuppies giving me dirty looks as my loud, stinky, ugly diesel truck putters past them. I just smile and wave. I'm a nice guy like that. Except when they truly look stranded, hurt, over the age of 50, or somethings on fire, then I usually stop.

These things are supposed to be fun. If anyone would like to try their hand at helping me fab up a better steering setup, by all means email me and I'll tell you where my shop is in Gulfport. We can have full run of everything there and even have a few beers in the process. That's how this abortion of a truck was born, anyways!!

later, I'm going fishing

That is an awesome engine swap. Somebody here mentioned that a few european jeeps came with 5cyl diesel like that. Anyway, I would like to know if you had to modify the floor or could you use the stock tranny crossmember locations and shifter and such. I am assuming 80's mbz turbodiesel w/ auto tranny. Those 20 year old things seem to all be running like new. I would also like to see one of those in an 80's toyota pickup but I diddn't think that motor would be so heavy. Maybe a 4 popper VW td instead. So feel free to post some more pictures of what you had to modify like engine mounts and such.

Back