• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beater!

...missed a spot

Got warm enough this afternoon to start wetsanding finally (snowed a bit this morning)

First thing was to remove the obvious runs with 1200 grit. Here's a good example

Wetsanding_1.jpg

Wetsanding_2.jpg

Also removed some dust motes with the same 1200

Wetsanding_5.jpg

Wetsanding_6.jpg

Then I "washed" the car with 1500 grit to smooth it over a bit and get rid of small bits. Basically anywhere the sandpaper dragged got more attention... Wetsanding will freak you out

Wetsanding_7.jpg

Let me get you a towel...

Wetsanding_8.jpg

I still have a bunch of little spots where the paint is not even (you can see these in the door frame shot above). I will either go back over those with 1500 grit tomorrow, or may wait to hit them with 2000 grit and/or polish at the end. I'm not sure if they will come out later, but the grit I'm using at this stage is really aggressive and takes off more paint than I want.

I am really tempted to do another 1 or 2 coats with the detail gun, since the small tip atomized the paint really well. I just don't want to have to wetsand again after, plus I'm starting to get kind of low on paint and the 2500 front-end parts will need paint when they come in.

Studying about it some, I decided that this texturing is basically just a light orange peel that didn't form up, so just have to sand through it. I switched to 1500 grit so that it would not be as aggressive with the paint.

Wetsanding_9.jpg

Second pass

Wetsanding_10.jpg

Fourth pass

Wetsanding_11.jpg

The temperature got into the mid-30s this afternoon so I had to quit early. Only got a few of the areas done, and it looks like it will take a couple of days to wetsand the whole jeep with 1500. Yeah it takes a long time but the results are good, and it's the right thing to do.

I will definitely have to put two more coats of paint on the jeep when I'm done with this, and then I will go over it again with 2000 grit.

I'm about halfway through wetsanding w/ 1500 grit. The left side, cowl and header are all done except for some areas that need an extra pass, and the upper half of the right side is done. I still need to give the hood, hatch, and roof a workout, and also finish the lower part of the right side.

Wetsanding_12.jpg

I had to quit today because of the combination of water and temperature--I started losing control of my hands (dropping stuff for no reason, etc). Tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be clear and mid-40s so maybe I can get everything except the roof.

ps--you can see the gap in the drivers door from the poorly repaired upper hinge

Well come on, lets get it back together and get sum wax on so we can see it shine!

I'm finally done with wetsanding, although I will probably need to revisit a couple of spots. I left the roof alone and will see if I can polish through the texturing there, if not I'll hit it with 2000 grit when I smooth out the next coat.

Wetsanding_16.jpg

Wetsanding_17.jpg

Weather forecast is showing near- or below-freezing for the foreseeable future so it might be a while before I can do anything more.

AAAAHHHH! I can't take it anymore I need updates!

Is it warmer over there yet?

It got into the lower 40s today so I did some spot sanding in a couple of areas and wiped it down in prep for tomorrow. The water in the garden hose and spritzer bottle is still frozen so I didn't get to wash it but it's pretty clean.

Tomorrow is supposed to crack 50, so I will mask in the morning and paint in the afternoon, lord willing and the creek don't rise

Thank you! I am now relieved and can go on with my day to day. Thanks ehall! :D

The temperatures didn't get as high as forecast but it was sold upper 40s so everything got done anyway. The paint looks pretty good, nice and level, but more runs than last time. The extra coat realy makes a difference. Here you can see where the seams and folds were painted before the whole body was shot

Painted_21.jpg

couple pics after everything was sprayed

Painted_22.jpg

Painted_23.jpg

Tomorrow sometime I'll pull it out and move it into the other garage bay so that the owner can have access to his lift. It'll have to set up for a week before I can do anything more to it.

Morning-after inspection made me pretty happy. The paint is really smooth and has a nice deep gloss on it. Almost hate to wetsand it, however there are enough defects that it will need to be hit on. Also the first round had the same appearance right after painting but once it cured up it had goosebumps all over, and I kind of expect this one to do the same thing.

Painted_24.jpg

Painted_25.jpg

Painted_26.jpg

There are some really bad runs that will have to be sanded out

Painted_27.jpg

Painted_28.jpg

Forecast says weather will get back into the 40s on Thursday, which should be enough time for the paint to cure

Back