• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brand of gear oil recommendations?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and only came up with 1 thread that didn't really have any brands per se more of what grade was required like GL-5 80/90.

I am getting new gears installed and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to one brand over another. I have been looking at Lucas Heavy Duty differential 80/90 oil to put in. Also, I know I need to add a friction modifier, is this the same as Lucas' oil stabilizer or is there a certain brand? Want to make sure I am putting in some good protection for my gears

thanks

Last edited:
I run Redline Synthetic Heavy Shockproof. It works great for offroading where shockloads are more prevelant. I have lockers front and rear though, so YMMV. I don't run friction modifier cause there are no clutch packs.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Royal Purple...it has a limited slip/friction modifier additive already in it...IIRC

I ran cheap conventional for the first 1000 miles after I installed my true tracs and 4.56's and then switched to synthetic after the gears were broke in. I use Amsoil, Red Line, or Mobil 1 fluids throughout my vehicles myself but there are plenty of good synthetics on the market. Most synthetics do not require the addition of a friction modifier IIRC.

Use any brand name. I use Mobile1.

Regular 85-90 oil if you do lots of water crossings or mud runs because you should be changing gear oil often.

Synthetic 75-90 for a DD or 75-140 if you tow a lot. Friction modifier is only necessary if you have a limited slip with clutch disks like a factory Trac-Loc.

I just installed an 8.8 in my Xj and my research led me to royal purple 75w140. you read the snake oil stuff, and the proprietary stuff and you have to make up your own mind what makes sense.
Also I switched my audi tranny fluid (5 spd) from dino to amsoil and that made quite a difference in smoothness and noise reduction.

sorry, didn't mean to imply that amsoil makes royal purple - although they might. I was just saying that i would go with either one

Back