• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

street tire recommendations?

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
I just switched to 4.10 gears in my 4L XJ with auto tranny. Currently have 31" MTRs that are noisy as hell. Fine for around town but way too noisy for any road trips. When these are worn out I am going to look at some 33" ATs.
Since I sometimes have to/want to take the XJ on a long road trip to the city I am considering tire options for 'street only'

Any ideas/suggestions what to look for? Like should I be looking for tall/skinny tires? any specific brand/model someone might be using?

TIA

i ran 31" mickey thompson MTX radials for a couple years, they are super quiet and smooth, wear good, and work pretty decent off road. just make sure you get an all terrain tire and make sure its a radial and you should be good. remember, the more agressive the tread pattern is the louder the tire will roll.

Thanks for the info GrimmJeeper.

Crazy as it sounds, I'm actually considering some seriously 'street only' tires, as in no aggressive tread at all. I would put these on the stock rims and they would only go on the jeep when I am going to do some serious highway driving (which happens fairly often). I know I won't be able to do any wheelin when I get there, but at least I won't be chewing up my spensive off road tires on the highway, mileage should be better and....no noise!

BFG All-Terrains. Put over 30K on mine for work, no real road noise, pretty good all around tire.

I ran 31' BFG ATs on the xj, and some 32x11.50 BFG MTs on my TJ. Buth are excellently long lasting tires. The MTs are of course a little louder. But i admit I like the noise. They gave me a couple cross country trips, and then some. several thousand miles and a lot of those off road in sand, mud, whatever.
I really like the BFG MT. My newer xj has BFG ATs on it. Its all stock gear and suspension wise though. I dont go off road often, its my DD but i end up in fun places now and then. Dont get plain stret tires. Get some ATs at theleast

Rev Den said:
Another vote for BFG A/T's....my 1st set went 85K....this set is at 81K, and still has another 20K or so.

Rev

Isn't that the strangest thing? It seems the more you understand a set of tires, they magically last longer? ;)

I had some 32" BFG AT/KOs and they were great tires. Now I'm running ProComp Mud Terrains (35x12.50x15) with around 33psi. With the dynabeads installed, they ride like an AT, it's that dramatic a change over standard wheel weights!

I bought a used cherokee that was equipped with michelin LTX MS tires and from searching about them a lot of people like them, including me. Snow traction is amazing and wet too. They would last a little longer than the BFG's too.

my father in law loves the Michelin LTX MS tires. He had a set on the XJ when I got it from him. They were still damn near new when I took them off for some larger meats after almost 30k miles. He has them on his rubi now and won't buy anything else.

Looks like the BFG AT KO might get the nod.

just priced them at $222 (Can)each mounted and balanced in a 33X12.5 15

I just wish I could find some used 33's first so that I can make sure I like having that big of tires. I really like the return of torque with the 4.10s and 31's, don't want to lose that by going 33....

fuzzydog said:
Thanks for the info GrimmJeeper.

Crazy as it sounds, I'm actually considering some seriously 'street only' tires, as in no aggressive tread at all. I would put these on the stock rims and they would only go on the jeep when I am going to do some serious highway driving (which happens fairly often). I know I won't be able to do any wheelin when I get there, but at least I won't be chewing up my spensive off road tires on the highway, mileage should be better and....no noise!
this is the arrangement I have now.
34x9.5 Bias ply swampers on black steelies for the trail.
some highway tread 31's for getting there.

My neighbor does the same thing with his TJ, only he hauls his swampers to the trail on a little harbor freight trailer. Something you might want to consider. He puts the road tires and the trailer together and chains them all up to a tree. Never been a problem.
we both come to the conclusion that eating up bia ply TSL's sucked. and having a smaller highway tread tire gets you way better gas mileage if it's your DD.

Thats a pretty good idea. Problem is when you are pulling a tent trailer or boat - don't have room for the other tires...

I imagine he also either has a cordless impact or a big air tank? OBA?

I'm way more into trail running than mud bogging so the AT's make the most sense for me. And I have a winch for those times when the At's get me into more trouble than I can get out of....

Back