• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hyrdro boost brakes

srb531

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
i had them on a CJ about ten yrs. ago, they worked great stopping 37's on heavy steel beadlocks,dana 44 , w/ a 4.1 dana 300 & auto trans. the same vanco kit now is almost double in cost.now im in a xj w/ heavy 36's on heavy steel wheels, 4.1 241 tc w/ auto trans . the wj brake conversion has helped but still low range wants to drive thru the brakes. anyone here have the hydro boost brakes w/ a similiar setup , are ur brakes holding it rolling downhill ? also any other kits out there other than vanco ? ive heard some people waiting 2 months to kit orders from vanco ?

Call Blaine at black magic brakes and talk to him. Very blunt and down to earth, and always willing to discuss options.

Blaine is the expert when it comes to Jeep brakes. He helped me out by engineering a solution for my Jeeps with Warn 5 on 5.5" hubs ten years ago and I am still grateful for the time he spent with me working on my Jeep. Those brakes have been perfect.

What pads have you tried? With my stroker and a 4:1 TC with WJ/KJ brakes, I have always been "close" to over-riding" my brakes but my EBC Yellow Trucks took care of that.

i did use the yellows before the wj knuckle swap, recently put some black magics on, but no off road time w/ them yet. steep downhills in 4 lo w/ the auto sometimes when a complete stop is needed the brakes barely can hold it. i often have to pop it in neutral & maybe even pull on the parking brake.

I know he caught a lot of crap on several of the different forums, but have you looked in to piecing together the brakes Cobra Marty has posted? I used my old MJ knuckles, WK2 calipers & Ford SportTrac rotors on my XJ and have been happy with them.

I don't have 4:1 yet and I run 35's on 16's. But you could run the 350mm WK2 calipers with mustang rotors & 17's.

It sounds to me like your brakes are not insufficient, but rather that they are not functioning. A lot of us run WJ brakes with 3.8 or 4.3 atlas's with big tires and big strokers, and have no problems locking up our tires or holding the car at a stop on any incline.

I'd be looking at air in the lines, bent axle shafts that are pushing pistons back into calipers, etc.

Back