• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dr. Dirt is in surgery

I finally received my million dollar muffler that I ordered on the 5th of Aug. Anyway it came with 12 disc's and I installed 6 of them to get started on tuning. I still need to order some SS material to make a hanger but I can get started on the rest.
P1080873.JPG

Re: Dr. Dirt is in surgery again

I left off with it (it's dirty I know) still needing carb and exhaust tuning. Going to get it done this time but at a way higher cost. I decided to go to a serpentine belt set-up, plus I went all-out on the only/most expensive roller rockers! Got some more Super-trapp stuff coming also.
P1090148.JPG

P1090147.JPG

P1090149.JPG

Back in my early years, I built a fairly modded 1970 VW Bug. In recent years, I've thought it would be interesting to Bug build motor with electronic fuel injection and timing, perhaps with a small turbo. Presumably this is already commonly done, but I've not bothered to look.

If you look at pic #2 in post 15 you will see that I added a O2 bung before I had the collector re-chromed.

FI is available at a Super Premium price! https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/7075.htm

That's some $$, especially for the turbo version, but at least it looks like a very complete, well thought-out kit. At the same time, I think someone could piece together a less expensive solution using a Megasquirt, AEM, or Haltech. It would be a lot more work through, so the usual trade-off between $$ and time.

I've been thinking about it for 40yrs, one of my first was a '68 FI Squareback! You can use a 4cyl ECU but one of the complications is no water temperature input, you can substitute air temperature but that requires major mapping changes in the ECU.

I finished up the serpentine installation, got the 34mm venturi's installed, now I'm waiting on the exhaust tuning parts. I'll get that running before I install the roller rockers(they may require additional work).
P1090150.JPG

P1090151.JPG

Sure looks cool.

What is the reason for the serpentine belt? I don't recall ever having belt issues with a bug, but then again I was never trying to push the design envelope with them either. Is there a limitation on the V-belt that comes into play? Or is it just that the serpentine setup is one more way to trick out a bug?

V-belts have always been a issue with high HP/high RPM motors and the VW's system sucks when dealing with them. Now it's a snap to change a belt in what is a much better system overall.

I learned my lesson 50yrs ago on a surfing trip to San Diego. We just hit the summit at Pine Valley when the gen light came on, you've got about a minute to pull over to a stop. It was nightime so we had to let the motor cool down and basically had to coast all the way into San Diego and p/u a belt the next morning!

Plans change fast, now I'm going to build a new motor changing from 1955cc to a 2110cc. That will put my new rockers and the new cam to work!

The old motor (500-1000 miles) looked so good I will probably just build it back as spare motor. Although I have built 100's of these using the old factory magnesium cases this will be a first with a new aluminum case (about 20lbs heavier). The rest are Mahle forged pistons and a forged 82mm stroker crank with H-beam rods.
P1090156.JPG

P1090157.JPG

P1090158.JPG

P1090159.JPG

P1090160.JPG

P1090161.JPG

What advantage does the aluminum have?

Strength, part of the reason it's so heavy is because it has material where there was none before!

I got the case prepped and painted this weekend!
P1090162.JPG

I'm back on top of this after a major set-back. I assembled the bottom end on Christmas eave only to find out the crankshaft locked up and had to tear it back down on Christmas day! Long story short after all the shops were closed thru New Years I'm back going again!
P1090163.JPG

P1090164.JPG

P1090166.JPG

Back