• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gorrilla la Dos

Its mostly the welding. Might not be as bad if your using bottle. But im using inner shield. It smokes alot. And it just gets to you. Usually need to take about three breaks per section. Then cleaning after. And grinding stuff smooth. Then paint. Then re assemble anything you had to take apart to access everything. I also added all the extra mounting points in the mid stiffeners. That took about 3 hours on its own.

Yeah I’m not expecting it to be speed work. Just good to know it’s an entire day for one side. I’ll be learning how to weld as I go too so that should slow me down some more. I’m sure the grinding and painting takes just as long as welding.

If you are learning how to weld as you go, delay working on your Jeep for a while. Practice on something that doesn't matter if you screw up. Get some beat up panels from any car from a junkyard and some thicker scrap steel if you intend to weld thick steel to thin sheet steel. With old panels you will have to clean them in the areas you want to weld and you will experience paint burn.

Buy some good safety equipment. Proper welding gauntlets, even cheap ones stop you burning your hands and let you achieve more control by getting closer to the workpiece.

I have a cheap suede welding jacket now but I have had plenty of blobs of hot metal burn through clothing into my skin in the past. A second hand leather jacket that is not fit to be seen in is a good alternative.

An auto darkening mask is essential if you don't want to be blind in your later years.

I have various battery powered magnetic LED lamps and some old desk lamps for workpiece illumination that I struggled without for a long time before trying it.

Stuff that you don't want to burn will burn quicker than you think. Have a fire extinguisher ready.

If you can find someone experienced in welding that can teach you how, go for it.

I am not a professional welder, but I had proper training when I was an apprentice. I don't weld often and it takes me half an hour of practice welding on scrap to get all my settings and technique perfect before I start welding on my Jeep.

If you are learning how to weld as you go, delay working on your Jeep for a while. Practice on something that doesn't matter if you screw up. Get some beat up panels from any car from a junkyard and some thicker scrap steel if you intend to weld thick steel to thin sheet steel. With old panels you will have to clean them in the areas you want to weld and you will experience paint burn.

Buy some good safety equipment. Proper welding gauntlets, even cheap ones stop you burning your hands and let you achieve more control by getting closer to the workpiece.

I have a cheap suede welding jacket now but I have had plenty of blobs of hot metal burn through clothing into my skin in the past. A second hand leather jacket that is not fit to be seen in is a good alternative.

An auto darkening mask is essential if you don't want to be blind in your later years.

I have various battery powered magnetic LED lamps and some old desk lamps for workpiece illumination that I struggled without for a long time before trying it.

Stuff that you don't want to burn will burn quicker than you think. Have a fire extinguisher ready.

If you can find someone experienced in welding that can teach you how, go for it.

I am not a professional welder, but I had proper training when I was an apprentice. I don't weld often and it takes me half an hour of practice welding on scrap to get all my settings and technique perfect before I start welding on my Jeep.

I have all the equipment. It's the experience I don't have.

Finally. The cage is on the way. Once im not bed ridden its gonna be time to get this ball rollin.
895a0a326b933b9b382013e3c8fde230.jpg

Last edited:
Sick !

You live pretty close to me. I’ll have to swing by unannounced one of these days since I have your address. Lol.

Back