• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water pump replacement

EricT

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so I have all but one of the bolts loose for the water pump pulley. what is the easiest way to get that last bolt loose? no one in town has the spanner wrench. i'd like to get this done today since I have other things on the list that need to get done.

EricT,

My one manual gave me a very important tip. When removing the water pump they suggested you break torque on the pulley bolts BEFORE you remove the fan belt. The fan belt will hold the pulley still.

The process is the same tighten them once the pump is attached and the belt it off then torque them to the final value when the belt is installed.

Martin has it right! I've replaced 3 water pumps and never used a spanner wrench. Just loosen the bolts before loosening tension on the belt. Works great. After mounting the pump, you can then torque the pulley bolts to spec after applying correct belt tension. By the way, a Gates Cricket belt tension guage is a great inexpensive tool to monitor correct belt tension. You can get one at your local parts store which carries Gates belts and hoses . Get them to order one for you (~$12) if they don't have one in stock.

Good luck Eric! The job is not too bad and can be done in a couple hours.

yeah, a couple of hours, if I could get that heater tube loose from the old water pump. I really need a vise

No ,you need to go get a new one.You will probably twist it off before it comes out.
Wayne

thanks, but I got it out. I did not know I could get a new one.

A new heater tube runs about $20. Dealer item only. I you happen to break it, the threads are national pipe and not meteric. That is if you need to come up with a quick solution.

Back