• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yakima roof rack

Afireinside

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 91 and it came with a Yakima roof rack with ski and bike mounting attachments. I know absolutely nothing about them. Can someone please enlighten me? Is this worth keeping or selling? What is something like this worth?
Thanks

I have used a Yakima rack on my XJ for 15 years to carry everything from a pair of 17" sea kayaks to a 200 hundred pounds of lumber.
It's well worth keeping.

They may well be discontinued. I think the Thule racks are too. Both are a substantial upgrade over the stock bars.

If you don't want them you should pass them on to someone who does want them. Either list them for sale in your local chapter, Craigslist or ebay. Shipping may be a challenge for the bars, but the feet portion are the important, XJ specific part (assuming yours attach to the factory roof rails, not the gutters). Bars are probably easier to either find or sell locally, and the feet should not be hard to ship. They probably would fit in a flat rate box. IOW, consider separating the components.

Yes, was likely a high end setup. Sell or hand off to someone who would use it. May be able to sell if it's all there. IIRC correctly I paid about 500 for Yakima snowboard racks about 10 yrs ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have been looking for Yakima racks for a month, checking Craigslist, Bought a set last week, with two bike rails, no keys, 100 bucks in san jose california area. Idont need the bike rails, bought the racks to mount my roof basket.

Strong as heck. Have a set on my van also. Many more yakima racks for modern cars are for sale on Craigslist that are not using the rain gutter mount as we have on our XJ Jeeps. This is a very strong mount.

I second everything said here about Yakima racks. Been using a set on my 98 for about 15 years. The attachments to the rain gutter are very strong. Bought an upright arm to carry more than two kayaks....I've been known to have 5 boats on the racks!

I second everything said here about Yakima racks. Been using a set on my 98 for about 15 years. The attachments to the rain gutter are very strong. Bought an upright arm to carry more than two kayaks....I've been known to have 5 boats on the racks!

I used to carry two kayaks on the Targa top roof of an old Porsche/VW 914 The yaks were longer than the car!

I have a Yakima LoadWarrior with Extension. I like the extra length. I have it on Yakima round crossbars with A1 gutter mounts. I can say it is very secure and come in handy when I need to carry something on top. I bought most of what I have used on Craigslist. LoadWarrior plus Extension for $150 used. A1 gutter mounts with locks used for $130. Two 58" round cross bars $89 each new. I have not regretted my purchases and I like the rack very much.

Back