• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Speedometer Sending Unit Wire Question

rmoorex

NAXJA Forum User
On a 1991 XJ, on the NP231 t-case, two wires connect to the speedometer sending unit (officially "SENSOR PACKAGE, Distance", MOPAR part number 5233 152). Its a two prong connector.

One wire is black with a blue stripe. One wire is yellow with a red stripe.

I do not own a ohm/volt meter. Hope that a patron can advise on the positive vs. the negative wire.

I assume yellow/red is positive. But assuming is a bad thing to do.

Since owning the XJ, the speedo has a glitch. It randomly, but rarely stops working until traversing over a few bumps. Same scenario with two different speedometers.

Upon attempting to install a new speedometer gear, the speedo (and odometer, by the way) quit working all together. Also attempted to re-install the old gear, same outcome.

Replacing the sensor. However, I do not know which wire is which.

Last edited:
From what I can see on the wiring diagrams Tan is hot, Black is ground -- obviously this doesn't help you

Looks like you're going to have to buy a $7 volt meter from Harbor freight

From what I can see on the wiring diagrams Tan is hot, Black is ground -- obviously this doesn't help you

... and learn how to use it.

Can I just turn the vehicle on and stick the wire on my tongue :laugh:

Thank you for the info!

The tan/black would be the trans output speed sensor which goes to the trans computer. Only two wires to the sensor, the polarity likely doesn't matter.

... and learn how to use it.

if in fact there is a positive and negative at the sensor then it will be easy to figure out which is which with the voltmeter

Set voltmeter to DC 20 volts and probe the wires -- if it reads 12 volts or whatever voltage you would expect then the red probe of the voltmeter is connected to positive -- if it reads Negative voltage (-12) then the red probe is connected backwards or on the negative wire

Back