• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo gear leaking

MickeyS

NAXJA Forum User
231 case is leaking from the bottom of the speedo gear housing. did some searches and it seems people have this issue. some say there are two o rings. Where exactly do the two o rings go? there is one recessed in the housing that i see, and i see on multiple youtube videos, but i don't see two.

anyway, I replaced that oring and reinstalled. It's still leaking. what am i doing wrong? if i were to add RTV, where exactly should I seal?

Having the same problem in the past, after replacing the o-ring, I used RTV silicone sparingly to seal the speedometer sender. It has stayed leak free for years.

It seems to happen to people for some reason. So where exactly did you seal, between the t case lip and the speedo gear housing? I’m confused by people who say there are two orings.

If you remove the speedo gear (held down with a fork and a 13 mm nut) there is an o-ring on it. Then if you remove the sensor from what you just pulled out, there is a 2nd o-ring. If you go down to NAPA and look at a speedo sensor, it becomes obvious where the 2nd o-ring goes.... The speedo sensor is actually 3 separate parts... the gear, the housing, and the sensor. The 2nd o-ring seals the sensor to the housing. The large o-ring that usually leaks is Mopar 6035709. I prefer using the Mopar part. I have had Crown owns leak shortly after install.

Back