• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different alternator brackets for different years/alternator upgrades for a 2000?

krakhedd

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody,

I've put some solid searching into this and I can't find a yes or a no answer (so I assume the answer is, "no", but have to ask!).

I have a 2000 w/ a 2001 engine block. I do not have the towing package on mine, and a local dealer only has one alternator listed, which either suggests the towing package was never offered for my year (but it was on my '99, which had it), or it's simply unavailable due to how long it's been since the XJ stopped being built brand-new.

Anyway, I bought a unit from Ohio Generator, who was well aware I have a 2000 XJ before purchase. The alternator they sent me is visibly larger than a brand-new Bosch from NAPA, and measures approximately 1.5" larger in circumference. The wheel on the alternator is larger on the Ohio unit as well.

My friend who put the engine together for me said there isn't enough material in the bracket to machine down and fit the larger alternator. I'm curious if there's a different bracket available that I can use with no modification? This unit is rated over 220amp, which is probably 50amp more than I'll need but I'd rather have the extra capacity anyway, "just in case". But I think the next step down from Ohio is like 140amp or so, which is obviously well below where I want it.

Any direction or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

hmm 160amp 'rango alt was pretty easy to get in there in my 01 (maybe not enough amps for ya)

I bet you could use the old one to set up bolt pattern on your cardboard mock up .. Then cut out plate and have your custom bracket welded by a buddy drill the holes and voila!

I don't know if anyone makes a bigger bracket (besides you)

Problem is, this is my daily driver, and I am too friggin' busy....suppose I could buy one from a junkyard & go from there though, ESP since one of the biggest Jeep junkyards is right around the corner from where I work!!

x2 on the Durango alt. ZJ grand cherokee V8 alts will work too. You just have to grind a bit off the bracket to make them work.

Are there specific year rangos to look for?

I think the earlier years with the 5.2 V8. I may be wrong though. Grand Cherokee 5.2 alternators from 1993-1998 work as well.

Back