• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hesitation, then *pop*

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
Just as the title indicates. I pulled out of my driveway and the Jeep hesitated. I gave it some more gas and heard a pop. Not loud, and I don't recall feeling it. It just seemed like something (gas pedal linkage?) had gotten bound a bit and then let go. I only drove it about a half mile round trip after that, but by the time I got home it was too dark/late to investigate. It didn't drive funny after that, and I've had the hesitation before (albeit without the resultant pop). Any help?

check linkage for smooth operation and check for vacuum leaks and in the dark look for arcing spark plug wires and possibly clogged fuel injectors or clogged fuel filter and or weak fuel pump, be sure to check for any fuel leaks you should be able to smell any leaks, also look under the distributor cap for any arcing between posts and of course check for clogged fuel filter, you might also want to check and make sure the fuel body is snug to the manifold and while you are at it check for intake manifold leaks, is the check engine light on ? you might have bad os sensor, check fuel tank for water, that's pretty much all you need to look for. let us know what you find.

Thanks, I'll check all that stuff when I can. Is there any way it could be the tranny (boy, I hope not)? It happened about when it was shifting into second. Oh, yeah--it's an AW4. By the way, how can I check for a clogged fuel filter on a '99--it's in the tank?

If you have a stock set up, it could also be your slip yoke binding up on the tcase tailshaft. The slip yoke been know to "bind" then release on the tailshaft in situations you describe. It's a simple fix by merely greasing the tailshaft/slip yoke... Just another possibility...

Ivan

How many miles on the oxygen sensor?

The last time my O2 sensor went bad, in normal operation things ran okay. During certain temperature and weather conditions, though, whenever I would shift (I have a 5-speed) I would get a small "pop" from under the hood, sort of like an older car backfiring through the carburetor. I finally figured out that the O2 sensor wasn't responding quickly enough to correct for the instantaneous richening when I closed the throttle while shifting. It allowed a small amount of unburned fuel to make it through the engine, and the "pop" was this fuel charge lighting off when it hit the catalytic converter.

Since I first posted this, I've been thinking maybe prop shaft u. joints or as Ivan wrote, possibly the slip yoke. Eagle, the O2 sensors are original and what you wrote makes perfect sense, but I can't help feeling it's a mechanical binding somewhere. At any rate, I guess I've a lot of stuff to look at underneath this weekend. Thanks, guys.

Back