• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1/4 mile times?

FUNKYTEE5

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, just for kicks! Who has seen a 4.0 XJ turn out some good 1/4 mile times? No strokers, nitrous, or boost! Just a well tuned, naturally aspirated, stock stroke 4 liter. What are some actual e.t's that y'all have seen?

FUNYKTEE5

I ran my XJ in [email protected] with a modded 4.0 (full bolt-ons & ported head) and weight reduction before I installed the stroker.
My current 14.50 is with the stroker but no weight reduction.

263hp@4900/321lbft@3300-3800, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.8secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

FUNKYTEE5 said:
Ok, just for kicks! Who has seen a 4.0 XJ turn out some good 1/4 mile times? No strokers, nitrous, or boost! Just a well tuned, naturally aspirated, stock stroke 4 liter. What are some actual e.t's that y'all have seen?

FUNYKTEE5
14.7 with mine, maximum bolt-on's and moderate weight reduction.

XJ Saga said:
14.7 with mine, maximum bolt-on's and moderate weight reduction.

Wow, not bad at all. Elaborate on specific mods please. Stock gearing and tires?

JeepSpeed said:
Wow, not bad at all. Elaborate on specific mods please. Stock gearing and tires?

JS: list is somewhat lengthy, I would just go to jeepsunlimited and search under the same user name.

XJ Saga...

XJ Saga said:
JS: list is somewhat lengthy, I would just go to jeepsunlimited and search under the same user name.

XJ Saga...

Knew your name was familiar, will do.

15.7 with a 2" lift and 30s, stock gears, cat back exhaust, and all tools not on board as the only weight reduction. I love the look when I pull up to the line "He's gonna race that."

Ya'll shoulda seen the look I got with my Grand Wagoneer when I pulled up to the line at the strip, beat out an S10 Extreme, that guy was the laughing stock for a while

Perty sure Zoro did just a little over 15 seconds when I tried, sad thing is there were muscle cars back in the 60's that couldn't even do that well

Anybody got 1/8 mile times, that's what the tracks around here run, I'am going to run mine this summer on test and tune night just for laughs.

i've run my 90xj 4door in the 8th . a few times . all i have is a exhaust (2.5,flowmaster) , a k&n air cleaner , and a 75hp nitrous kit .

running just like to drive it (235/75-15 goodyear wranglers) .

i have run a 10.34@60 mph (all motor) and a 9.47@74 mph with 75hp nitrous .

btw , traction is usless. i couldn't hit the nitrous till about halfway thur 2nd gear . i plan to go back with a set of slicks when it warms up a little and try to get the jeep into the 8's in the 8th !

I used to bracket race my XJ.
Borla header and extaust
Jet stage 2 chip
Rock IT tube
235/75
10.27 in the 1/8th
I went to the finials twice, but lost. Pretty stiff competition. Now I have a 71 Dart 446ci.

Those are some good 1/8 mile times, I go to the track a few times a year with some buddys who run mustangs, they usely run between 8.40 and 9.70, which seems slow for the amount they've spent on their cars. Most of them think Jeeps are useless, I'd like to see the looks on their faces seeing an XJ get that close to their times. Last year we were there and a CJ pulled into the burnout box, my buddys were laughing at it and making remarks. The CJ pulls to the line and run in the low 8s. I'm still ragging them about that one!

16.4 is what the road tests on a 2000 produced when new - probably close for most of the automatic XJ's.
My 89 with borla, hi-flow cat, K&N, advanced timing and more fuel pressure ran 15.3 with 3.73 gears and 255X60 BFG's

Would a manual trans be faster or slower, or does it depend a lot on driver technique? I never thought about racing my jeep, I enjoy the off pavement, but it would be fun to beat an import. I hate those things. I couldn't stop laughing at a recent simpson's where in the background the movies had "3 fast 3 furious" playing.

Go Go said:
Would a manual trans be faster or slower, or does it depend a lot on driver technique? I never thought about racing my jeep, I enjoy the off pavement, but it would be fun to beat an import. I hate those things. I couldn't stop laughing at a recent simpson's where in the background the movies had "3 fast 3 furious" playing.

5sp for sure will be faster. More gears and lower axle ratios are better cause it helps keep the motor in the power band:)

FUNKYTEE5

Back