• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ axle swap/build

Thank you! It’s pretty awesome, not gonna lie.

Had to tear my tcase down again because the chain was skipping teeth, so I ordered a new chain and sprockets. Pulled it apart and found the range fork almost totally worn out after about 1000-1500 miles on the new one. I’m not sure what’s causing the range forks to wear out so quickly. If anyone has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you put the detent spring and detent ball for the range fork in backwards? I had a messed up range fork (almost totally got) and when i pulled the case apart I found the detent spring and ball in backwards. Then I said screw this and ordered an atlas because I wanted an atlas anyway

Did you put the detent spring and detent ball for the range fork in backwards? I had a messed up range fork (almost totally got) and when i pulled the case apart I found the detent spring and ball in backwards. Then I said screw this and ordered an atlas because I wanted an atlas anyway

I haven’t touch the detent or spring yet. I’m pretty sure that I had the fork oriented correctly I’m relation to the sector shaft.
That’s kind of where I’m at haha, but I don’t think the wife is down for me to drop $3600 on an atlas 4spd 😅

I haven’t touch the detent or spring yet. I’m pretty sure that I had the fork oriented correctly I’m relation to the sector shaft.
That’s kind of where I’m at haha, but I don’t think the wife is down for me to drop $3600 on an atlas 4spd 😅

2spd was 2400$ shipped. But yeah, fix it. check the detent

Congrats! Little girls are great fun. I took my big one to the Reno event in 2018 in the rain and she had a great time. She rode in the big Jeep at 4 years old but did a snow run in the little Jeep at like 2-1/2.

Is TJ Rubicon NP241OR still a thing? That could be a nice upgrade to a 231 without being the cost of an Atlas.

They are, IF you can find one. I looked for months and couldn't find one before finally succumbing to an Atlas.

They are, IF you can find one. I looked for months and couldn't find one before finally succumbing to an Atlas.

they are 1500-1900 all over now, gone are the days of the 600-800 NP241OR. At 1700-1900 you might as well get an atlas at 2400

4speed! 4speed! 4speed! 4speed! 4speed!
giphy.gif

Congrats! Little girls are great fun. I took my big one to the Reno event in 2018 in the rain and she had a great time. She rode in the big Jeep at 4 years old but did a snow run in the little Jeep at like 2-1/2.

Thanks Phil! I’m pretty stoked, can’t wait to take her for a ride!

I was thinking about doing to NP241OR but they’re pretty expensive compared to other used tcases and hard to find. I’d like to get the 4 speed atlas for a few reasons, the super low ratio and the its long enough to keep my front drive shaft a similar length.

Same here, I looked for one for a few months too but either they go super quick or someone wants way too much for it, on the other side of the country. I’m trying to convince my wife a little at a time haha

I want one so bad!

Its soooo worth it. And its more than just gearing. Your driveshaft lengths will match so you only need one spare. The main section of the tcase will be in the factory location so you dont have to cut up the floor to make it fit. I didnt cut mine at all and it is only 1 inch below the frame rails.

Same here, I looked for one for a few months too but either they go super quick or someone wants way too much for it, on the other side of the country. I’m trying to convince my wife a little at a time haha
I had a 242 in my jeep originally and started having issues. So I looked up the price of a brand new 242 case and convinced my wife the extra $300 (at the time) for the Atlas was a much better choice than another 242 "which would end up giving me the same problems". :D

Its soooo worth it. And its more than just gearing. Your driveshaft lengths will match so you only need one spare. The main section of the tcase will be in the factory location so you dont have to cut up the floor to make it fit. I didnt cut mine at all and it is only 1 inch below the frame rails.

All of that sounds great to me. I’m somewhat concerned since I got the SFR tcase skid and I’m worried it might not fit an Atlas.

I had a 242 in my jeep originally and started having issues. So I looked up the price of a brand new 242 case and convinced my wife the extra $300 (at the time) for the Atlas was a much better choice than another 242 "which would end up giving me the same problems". :D

That is a pretty genius plan. I’ll see if I can do something similar. I might have to wait as we might be buying a house in the next month or so lol

What size output shafts did you go with and what gearing did you pick?

So far I have not made a decision on whether to go atlas or not. I have a roller 04 TJ Rubicon that I am parting out and I am thinking of using the 241OR but I’m having trouble finding a way to hook up the speedo to my Renix Jeep. I’m need to find out if Atlas has a way to use the speedo cable and if so I might sell the 241OR and go atlas. We’ll see. Thanks for checking in, I think I’d do 1310s and 10:1 or 11:1 gearing since I went with 4.56s in the diffs.

I fully support this. I always suggest getting the 4speed. It will make your front and rear driveshafts the same length so you only need one spare. And the case lands in the same void in the floor as stock so less clearancing is needed.

Back