• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Spark Plug question

MadPikAvenger

NAXJA Forum User
I searched around on spark plugs and was pretty settled on the Champion Truck Plugs. Then I read a post about Chrysler switching to the NGK plugs for later models. I have an 01 and was wondering if there was a reason for choosing one brand over the other. Thanks.

NGK.

They are higher quality than any champion.

Champion would run 5 mins and foul out in my dirtbike.

Put in a NGK, lasted years.

Champion is for lawnmowers!

Autolight is also a decent plug but I will always run NGK's

MadPikAvenger said:
Alright...Thanks for the quick response...anything else i should look at while I'm changing the plugs?

Cap and rotor of course!

They go bad every few months for us. We wheel with a lot of moisture though but give it a look!

MadPikAvenger said:
2000+s use a coil rail so there is no cap and rotor... Thanks though

Doh! i forgot about that.... you should be good to go then!

XJR

Just to clarify, what exactly is the stock plug for a 2001? Part #?

XJRubicon said:
NGK.

actually champions were specifically designed to run in the 4.0. I think the engineers at Jeep would konw a little more than you about this, thats why we can get 300,000 miles + out of the 4.0 with 99 cent copper plugs. As for the later models...I've never heard they switched.

Stock plug for the 2001 is the NGK V-Power..part# ZFR-5N Just picked them up from the dealer. They did switch over from the champions for later models. The parts guy I deal with has worked there since before I was born.

jeepman121 said:
XJRubicon said:
NGK.

actually champions were specifically designed to run in the 4.0. I think the engineers at Jeep would konw a little more than you about this, thats why we can get 300,000 miles + out of the 4.0 with 99 cent copper plugs. As for the later models...I've never heard they switched.

I would LOVE to see a 300k mile champion. I don't believe that possible.

Maybe they did design the champion to work with the 4.0, I would STILL never run them.

I have NEVER had a set last more then 10,000 miles. The NGK's that are in my truck have been in there since 03' and STILL it runs like a dream.

I bet they need to be replaced, but they are still running strong!

XJR

I don't think he said 300k on a set of plugs, he said 300k on a motor. Even the best, most over priced plugs can't go that long. My Oldsmobile Aurora northstar engine has 130,000 miles on it, and I just changed the stock platinum plugs last month, they looked good other than the larger gap from deterioration. I've use Accel and Champion plugs in my 4.0 XJ, both are good.

why the switch, how different is a 2001 4.0 from a 99? 97?

The XJ he was has a coil rail, and I think they have higher output to the plugs. Its kinda funny, the stock ignition in my 92 xj has just a little more voltage than a GM HEI distributor from a 1977 chevy has

I remember hearing something about them switching to the v-powers because the Champions had a tendency to foul up in the newer models with the coil rails. I could be wrong about that though.

I have 100K on my Champions in a 2000 w/the power-pak rail. I think I'll change them next week before emissions testing.

I have been running Champion Truck Plugs in my '96 for about 100K miles... however I'm getting ready to do a tune-up this weekend and have decided to switch over to the NGK V-power plugs.

I haven't run the NGKs in my XJ (4.0) yet, but I really trust their plugs. Plus it was hard for me to find the Champion Truck plugs, and if I could (after ordering them) they were nearly triple the price of the NGKs.

I've run NGK's in sports cars over the past 20 years and have NEVER had a problem w/them. Never a fouled or broken plug (that wasn't my fault) and they performed flawlessly in my 4.6 Mustang Cobra and all my imports over the years. Plus they work great in my wifes KJ Libby... :)

So long as the gap is set correctly for the NGK I can't see you having any problems w/them and perhaps getting better performance than the Champions.

Back