• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

241OR swap in a 2000XJ

I initially tried to use a floor jack but that didn't work well, so I found the easiest way to do it is to lay under the truck with the tcase on my chest and simply bench press it up. I had a buddy with me and he simply helped guide it in.

Any tips beyond this? Bench pressing this thing and and trying to wiggle it into place solo isn't going so well. I can get it up and just barely started, but it won't slide into place.

I'm thinking of grabbing a harbor freight transmission jack. Seems like that would make it pretty easy, right?

Any tips beyond this? Bench pressing this thing and and trying to wiggle it into place solo isn't going so well. I can get it up and just barely started, but it won't slide into place.

I'm thinking of grabbing a harbor freight transmission jack. Seems like that would make it pretty easy, right?

I have one and it’s very much worth it. Used to bench press drivetrain parts all the time, but I like not bashing my hands on everything. :D

Are you sure you have the correct spline count/length. I did mine by hand and slid directly in. Make sure you have everything in neutral.

Good question, but I'm pretty sure it's the right spline count. I do have a '91 so I wondered about that. I counted the splines on the case that came out and got 23 both times, so I think I'm good.

Splines engage juuust enough that if the case is in gear and the trans is in neutral, the trans output spins by turning a tcase yoke. Definitely wondering if I'm missing something stupid like that though. Sure seems like the amount of grunting and wiggling I've done should have gotten the job done.

Banderso, when I did mine, I literally pressed it up, my buddy told me to bring it down a little bit to line it up, and it slid right on. - No problem what so ever. I guess I was lucky! My XJ is a 2000 with a AW4. I had my Tranny in gear and my Tcase in 2WD when I slid it in.

Thanks for all the input. I found my issue - one of the studs is bent and that's why it's not lining up with the trans. I just need to double nut it, back it out, replace with one out of the 231, and I should be good to go.

It is the XOFab Hybrid Cage for the XJ . http://shop-xo-fab-com.3dcartstores.com/XJ-Hybrid-DIY-Cage-Kit-_p_1759.html

After installing the cage, and how much effort it took to make everything fit correctly, it would probably have cost the same just to have a custom cage made, and it would have probably fit better. The one bar that comes in the kit for the harnesses that is suppose to go behind the B pillar bars does not work. They just give you a straight piece of tubing, which doesn't fit with the seats. I still need to bend up a harness bar and a cross brace for the B pillar. I also added the ability to remove my C pillar cross brace when I need to toss more stuff in the back when I am not wheeling. Over all I am happy how it turned out.

52793059_10156224806097066_615092140589973504_n%202_zpsqg3yccxp.jpg

57109789_10156320955042066_350645519502016512_n%201_zps47vnawnp.jpg

56384984_10156320955132066_1999467530107748352_n%201_zps2ygukhwp.jpg

58375803_10156354180157066_8799085270088548352_n_zpslrfmqywe.jpg

Back