• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Tig Welder advise !

hackedxj

NAXJA Member #1090
I've always wanted a tig welder to weld aluminum and have finally decided to get one. I have only had the chance to use a tig a few times and really enjoyed it. Since I have very little experience, I don't know what I need in a tig welder. I went to a welding supply to check out some different models but came away a bit overwelmed by all the different features. I'm not going to be doing industrial welding, but I want a welder that can do some nice welding.Can some of you guys point me to a good model ,maybe some features to get or not to get.Can a good welder be had for around two grand? I just hate to buy one and realize it's not the one I need.With all the rigs I've seen here surely someone has some knowledge to share.Thanks for any advise.

If you want to weld aluminum make sure you get one that will handle the thickness's you want and size comes into play too. I'm far from a TIG (or aluminum) expert but I really like the foot pedel while welding aluminum. Aluminum conducts heat so well so what's good when you start is too hot after some bead has been put down.

You could alway's buy one and let me try it for a while. If it's good I'll just keep it. :D

Have you thought about buying a used welder? My Hobart CT-200 cost $400 :guitar: It's about 20 yrs. old and it rocks. If you are wanting to do aluminum, you had best be getting a water cooled torch. I've already melted 2 air cooled torches. Aluminum takes a LOT of amps to weld correctly.

We use a synchrowave 180.

I have no persnal experience with it, other than to report it is a trouble-free unit, has provided excellent service with occasional production orders in alum and stainless.

dmillion said:
Anyone have any experience with this...

http://www.tigdepot.com/products/p35TD-BBTF.htm

Looks like a cheap way to get into TIG since I already have the AC/DC buzz box.

I've looked into those, but if your planning on welding aluminum I wouldn't waste the money. Also, I've alway's used AC Tig on aluminum and was always told to not scratch start. 125 amps wouldn't really do much either. I don't think you could even get 1/8" to burn good.

I believe any AC/DC arc can be setup to do DC TIG (scratch starting). That's where I learned how. It appears the only thing their doing is dropping the current for more control on the real think stuff. Dmillion, go talk to your supply store. You should be able to get a torch setup for around $100 then add a tank and start. You won't get the automatic gas flow control but it's fun to play with.

I've been shopping for a TIG box for a while now. Don't really need one so I haven't shopped that much. I've fought my way through most of mine with the MIG but more power and a spool gun would make life much better. :D

OneTonXJ said:
Have you thought about buying a used welder? My Hobart CT-200 cost $400 :guitar: It's about 20 yrs. old and it rocks. If you are wanting to do aluminum, you had best be getting a water cooled torch. I've already melted 2 air cooled torches. Aluminum takes a LOT of amps to weld correctly.

I have to ask for comparision sake. How many times have you touched the filler to the tip?

Probably a couple million :wave1:

I was having serious problems with it until I realized that dragging the cup on my workpiece made things pretty smooth. I've been told by several very experienced welders to not let your filler get outside of the gasflow. That was a problem for me for some time.

Beezil said:
We use a synchrowave 180.

I have no persnal experience with it, other than to report it is a trouble-free unit, has provided excellent service with occasional production orders in alum and stainless.

Mine is trouble free also, but then I've not even hooked mine up yet!

:D

hinkley

Dehinetly think about buying used, we got a syncrowave 250 for around 400 bucks at autction, already setup with a liquid cooled torch. Wroks great and double sas the king of all stick welders with the high freq AC start.

Back