• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft length between a auto and manual? Close enough to be interchangeable

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
Front driveshaft length between a auto and manual? Close enough to be interchangeable?

I need a front driveshaft for a auto XJ and I guy on ebay has 1 from his 89' XJ manual. I have a 91' auto AW4. Will it work? What are the differences in length?

Re: Front driveshaft length between a auto and manual? Close enough to be interchangeable

Nothing precice but it's around 17.5 for a manual and 19.5 for an auto 87 or later.

I've tried it and it didn't work. I thought I might save myself some time by swapping shafts from my 89/AW4 into my 93/AX15 rather than change the u-joints since the 89 had brand new joints...no go. The shaft was about 2" too long to fit in place.

Hey Red I have 2 sitting here in flagstaff from HP30 to aw4/231 tell me whats a fair price and I will send ya one. both CV's are good on these but will need at least a new axle side u joint,

Back