• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Sounding Exhaust For The 4.0L?

I was going to say... I'm surprised nobody said open headers yet... This is close enough... lol

I've almost done that. Took it off at the cat with the intention of a clamp on cat back. Liked the sound/ feel of the engine offroad so I put pipe on and it sounds great, plus way quieter in the cab lol, not nearly as bad as you'd think.

There's a youtue vid of a guy running down the street header only, just for giggles, now that is loud.

I ran a Flowmaster 40 on my buggy when it was still an XJ.

Not bad, but in the long run more drone than I cared for.

Installed a Walker SS Quiet Flow on my wife's '96, and after hearing how well that one works (quiet, sounds good), I put one on my 2001 XJ.

Then again, I drove my XJ as a DD, and from CO to CA and back several times...so droning on sucks. The Flowmaster 40 was better than no muffler (ran with none for a bit), but still not quite what I cared for.

Didn't read through all of this but I am about to do my 92 xj exhaust and I have now ordered a high flow cat cheapie off ebay (Izumi) and a jones exhaust max flow muffler which was all of 40 bucks shipped off ebay. I was gonna do magnaflow as I am going for a deep but not too loud sound with no drone. Ive had flows and they drone without a doubt. My tj has a magnaflow and it just sounds great! Granted it has a turn down but the xj will go all the way out. I need it to be deep and grumbly not loud and annoying. After much research I found the jones muffler to be almost exactly like a magnaflow so I am looking forward to getting it done. If anybody wants to know how it sounds I will see about giving an update. ---------------Kyle

Update..........it is installed and I like it! Its actually really quiet at idle with a very minor deep grumble when you get it on it. No drone that I can tell the one time I drove it up and down the road. I am thinking it might be way more quiet since I didn't dump it right behind the exhaust and went out all the way to the back. For the money I can't complain one bit.........

^any video clips?

I'll see if I can get a clip but it is stupid quiet being its all the way out the back instead of dumped.....imagine it would be quite a bit louder if so. Sorry for late reply.

I was going to say... I'm surprised nobody said open headers yet... This is close enough... lol

I've got that right now on mine. Had to put a new exhaust manifold on and didn't want to hook up the rest until after I drop the oil pan and replace the rear main seal. Actually sounds pretty darn good! No road worthy but I do like the way it sounds.

I have a Flowmaster 50 Delta with a high flow cat and I think it sounds great for a 6cyl. Emphasis on "for a 6cyl". It's quieter and less drone-y than most other 4.0 setups I've heard. Been on there for almost a decade and I've never got the urge to change it.

I haven't even reviewed it yet so hopefully you can hear it. Its so quiet but i swear jeep gained some take off power.

https://youtu.be/daOOTazXtFw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back