• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drill track bar bracket or install new track bar?

Scrubber3

NAXJA Forum User
Recently I installed a 3.5 inch lift and 33 13.50 15 on steel pro comps on my 01 XJ. When I did the lift, I swapped the D35 for a Chrysler 8.25 with traclock. Upon test driving it, there were some noticeable vibrations when accelerating. Decided a transfer case drop was in order since I don't have the time or money for an SYE just yet. The transfer case dropped did the trick. Figured while I was at it I'll go ahead and adjust the steering stops and install extended sway bar end links. Next I need to get an alignment, but before that I was wondering if I should do anything with the track bar. Drill out the lower bracket towards the driver's side about 3/4 of an inch or just get a new track bar that is longer? I'd like to just leave as is and go get an alignment, but id hate for it to dog walk after the alignment and just end up having to do something anyway and wasting the money. I'm sure someone here has been in this position before. And help would be appreciated. Here is a picture. Or two
33737af0391fa377c983ae1d43f9fbcd.jpg
e52bbad729f434c74cb95adc67836b35.jpg

I'd go for the new trackbar instead of drilling 100% of the time.

For the same reason I've got a trackbar relocation bracket that I've given out for the last 20yrs. It always comes back after people figure out that it's just a bad idea!

Why?

If relocation of the lower trackbar mounting hole was a good solution, there would not be a market for new HD trackbars, which correct geometry and add strength.

Get a trackbar/frame bracket combo which will eliminate the single shear factory-type mounting at the frame end and one with greasable/rebuildable joints preferred. SFR, JKS, RE, Ironman, TNT, Clayton etc. all offer good solutions.

Last edited:
Why?

If relocation of the lower trackbar mounting hole was a good solution, there would not be a market for new HD trackbars, which correct geometry and add strength.

Get a trackbar/frame bracket combo which will eliminate the single shear factory-type mounting at the frame end and one with greasable/rebuildable joints preferred. SFR, JKS, RE, Ironman, TNT, Clayton etc. all offer good solutions.

This is why.

I've heard the track bar relocation bracket was a bad idea...

What relocation bracket are you referring to?

Get a new bracket on the top side to change it to double shear. Use the existing hole on the axle side.

The only reason to relocate the trackbar on the axle side is because you're switching to high steer and need to match your new steering geometry.

New trackbar, cause then you can upgrade that stupid 1/4" bolt on the axle side to something with more clamping force. No it's not a 1/4" but it might as well be as small as it is. I think I did a 1/2 bolt and new nuts on a flag washer for the backside.

Back