• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Projext "V8 XJ" Build

sorry for the gigantic pictures guys...
First one:
aALVAqB.jpg

Second:
XcIfo8r.jpg

Ok. c'mon now. I'm probably one of the bigger supporters of the Dana 30 out there, but there is no way I'd keep a Dana 30 under a rig with a V8 swap and anything other than stock sized tires. Especially not an LS.

Ok. c'mon now. I'm probably one of the bigger supporters of the Dana 30 out there, but there is no way I'd keep a Dana 30 under a rig with a V8 swap and anything other than stock sized tires. Especially not an LS.
I have. And mine is a modified LS. The D30 can be pretty strong, I'm not running a locker, just a trutrac, but I'm not easy on it either.

Sounds perfect then. Swap in a V8 for the extra power and then don’t dare use that power for fear of breaking the Jeep. He is also running 37’s. That’s a lot of tire for a Dana 30, especially with a LS. Don’t get me wrong, I like my Dana 30. This is my second XJ with a locked and geared Dana 30 on 35’s and I’m plenty confident in it. I still wouldn’t swap an LS into my XJ w/o planning for some stronger axles, especially with 37’s. I’d hate to get a little too excited about the Orange Julius at the mall and destroy my axle goosing it over a speed bump.

But hey, if the OP wants to go back to stockish axles. I’ll gladly trade you those built 9” ones for my Dana 30/8.25 combo. :D

Last edited:
I also could hear a really bad exhaust leak. I figured it was a cracked header and I just hadn't had time to actually get under and find it. Slid under last night to find it and bam! Already ordered an ATP header from Amazon.
5LekVVl.jpg

I was going to order APN but they’d take too long to receive. My wife and kid will be out of town for the remainder of the week so I’ll have a chance to install it.

Install was fine no easier or harder than any other install i've done (this is my 3rd or 4th). I had to grind down the underside of the #6 intake runner and bash in the #6 header pipe a little bit but it went as smoothly as any other install i've done. The header design also doesnt allow you to get any of the bolts so I just tighten them down enough. That's probably where the Banks would outweigh this header (design).

Other than that a header replacement shouldnt take longer than 3 hours if your bolts arent rusted. Everyone always makes it sound harder than it really is.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...etailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=pda0ea-20

Back