• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you have your HAM or a cheap Baofeng for Sierra Fest

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So who has their Ham radio/ baofeng for Sierrafest?

I got a USB charger and spares. Just wanted to make sure you all got yours.

Just a heads up in case anyone is unaware:

Per Alboy97XJ in the Rubicon itinerary thread, the group will be on 151.775, which is in the MURS band range. Hand-held units transmitting at up to 2 watts can legally transmit on that frequency. Some hand-held units over 2 watts are capable of transmitting on the MURS frequencies, including Baofengs. But other HAM units will be able to receive only on that frequency, unless they have been modified.* So, if you have an unmodified mobile radio, you will probably want to bring along a low-frequency hand-held unit as well.

* I make no representation as to the legality of modifying any radio.

Ill have my radio with me, and the Satellite phone for emergencies.

While I’m not going I can tell you the Baofeng units aren’t the heat. I’ve been told they are very faint. My recommendation is if your using one get the microphone/handheld about 1/4 inch from your mouth before talking.

The rubicon frequencies are available online if people need them. I believe there is one for just communications within a short range group instead of the entire rubicon trail.

They can also do the GMRS frequencies.

yeah please dont use the rubicon frequencies or repeaters if you dont have a HAM license.

Question for jeepme and anyone that has used a satellite phone before. Is it something that you can have powered on during the day without having to pay extra or using part of your plan?

I ask because I plan on making it to Hermit for the BBQ and spending the night but would like to be accessible if my wife happens to go into labor early (Due Aug 27th). If possible, Id like to have an avalible phone powered on at camp Sat evening through sun morning as a precaution.

If that is feasible and she does end up needing to call the phone, I am more than willing to reimburse costs associated with its use.
If that is the case, please PM me the phone number so I can give it to my Wife for Saturday.

Last edited:
Question for jeepme and anyone that has used a satellite phone before. Is it something that you can have powered on during the day without having to pay extra or using part of your plan?

I ask because I plan on making it to Hermit for the BBQ and spending the night but would like to be accessible if my wife happens to go into labor early (Due Aug 27th). If possible, Id like to have an avalible phone powered on at camp Sat evening through sun morning as a precaution.

If that is feasible and she does end up needing to call the phone, I am more than willing to reimburse costs associated with its use.
If that is the case, please PM me the phone number so I can give it to my Wife for Saturday.

It does not cost any extra to leave on which i usually do. The service at hermit valley is spotty but works well specially for texting. Ill PM you my SAT phone number so you can absolutely keep in contact with the wife.

Jeff

It does not cost any extra to leave on which i usually do. The service at hermit valley is spotty but works well specially for texting. Ill PM you my SAT phone number so you can absolutely keep in contact with the wife.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff I and the wife appreciate it. Allows me one more outing before the baby and to support the club.

Sorry to re-open this thread...but...Hasta

What's best for our outings, FRS, GMRS hand held HAM's? Before I buy something that nobody else is using, I figure I should ask first and spend later.:helpme::D

Legend has it that some cheap vehicle-mounted HAM radios can be modified to transmit on GMRS. I have an unlicensed HAM in the buggy for emergency use.

I have a cheap Baofeng for listening to licensed users and emergencies.

Legend has it that some cheap vehicle-mounted HAM radios can be modified to transmit on GMRS. I have an unlicensed HAM in the buggy for emergency use.

I did not know this

For those interested in getting a ham license. I stopped by the local ham radio outlet to buy one of these “legendary” mod able radios. And was told getting a ham license is easier then ever fully online free study coarse. And you can now take the test online using a webcam and computer. Hopefully I can get my done before this trip even.

Hamstudy.org

I got my license a few years back. RTF was doing free Ham radio classes at the time. It was easy. just study a bunch.

I found an app on my phone that had all 300 questions for the HAM license. Literally memorization for a week sitting on the couch and I passed the test. The license is valid for 1 years and it’s cheap. Local ham clubs could tell you when they’re testing. I think it was $25 locally to test.

You are supposed to test every year? Quick google says they are supposed to be good for 10yrs.

Hamm License is good for 10 years.

yeah you can basically just find the free quizzes online and retake them over and over again. I took a class from RTF , brought the book, and did the quizzes. The test was super easy.

Getting the Ham technician license is pretty easy. It is good for 10 years and can be renewed with out any further testing.

The test is (or was) 35 questions out of a pool of 400 and something. An easy way to do it is to memorize the answers. Using the AARL exam review website is a great tool to use.
You can find it here: http://arrlexamreview.appspot.com/

An other good source of info to help you understand it all better is here: https://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/2022-no-nonsense-tech-study-guide-v0-1.pdf

There are also many, many other good sources of info on the web.

Back