• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

January 2013 Off-Season Volunteer Workday

Do you plan on attending the workday?

• Total voters
I won't be there Friday either because of work. Saturday is a definite yes.

Hoping to have a couple people from Charlotte with me as well.

I have to drive 4 hours one way. Just how short and sweet are you talking about?

Well if by some miracle we get all the guard rail dragged Friday, and take care of any side projects that come up, we will have at least an hour head start. Then if we actually do have 20+ people show up and don't have any delays we might get done closer to 2-2:30 versus 3:30 or later. The chance of this happening are very slim, but it would make for a very smooth workday and save us an hour or so of time.

I don't take anything for granted, my comments were purely a positive outlook on what "could happen" in a perfect scenario.

From the Forest Service: Things to bring are: your lunch, water, work boots, work gloves, layers of clothing so you’re ready for wet, dry, cold or hot weather, and an assortment of tools if you have the that are good are: shovels, rock bars, chains, D-rings, sledge hammers, ratchets with sockets that are 1 ¼-inch in size, regular hammers.

Its great to bring tools out to the workdays, but if you don't have tools to bring don't worry. As long as you bring yourself dressed for the weather ready to work that is what counts.

I have seen volunteers in the past go way out of their way to bring a bunch of tools and not one get touched because there we all ready enough tools. So yes bring tools if you can, but don't let it turn into a big deal for you.

If the guardrail does not get brought in on Friday and you need me to bring the heep to help get it in on Saturday let me know via text Friday afternoon.

If the guardrail does not get brought in on Friday and you need me to bring the heep to help get it in on Saturday let me know via text Friday afternoon.

Right now I am keeping an eye on the weather. They are currently calling for a 70% chance of rain Friday, so its a waiting game to see what happens.

It has called for a 50% chance of rain before on a Friday before a workday, and it didn't rain until the after I had parked the Bobcat and was at the Outpost getting ready to leave. So lets pray and hope it doesn't rain Friday.

Keeping an eye on the weather now. Starting to look like we may be in for a bit of an ice storm come Friday.

Of course it is still 3 days out, so a lot can still change between now and then, but it could make getting to Uwharrie a bit tricky come Saturday morning.

Right now I am keeping an eye on the weather. They are currently calling for a 70% chance of rain Friday, so its a waiting game to see what happens.

It has called for a 50% chance of rain before on a Friday before a workday, and it didn't rain until the after I had parked the Bobcat and was at the Outpost getting ready to leave. So lets pray and hope it doesn't rain Friday.

If it rains will they change the work date? If so how will that effect the rental? Need me to do some driving and drilling again if I make it?

Keeping an eye on the weather now. Starting to look like we may be in for a bit of an ice storm come Friday.

Of course it is still 3 days out, so a lot can still change between now and then, but it could make getting to Uwharrie a bit tricky come Saturday morning.

Maybe I should tag Ghost between now and then.... LOL!

I was wondering the same thing. What is the "inclement weather policy" for the FS?

Current weather reports are saying it's going to be more of an ice event instead of snow, and it gets icy as the day progresses on Friday. Regardless of whatever falls, it's going to freeze Friday night, which if it's a repeat of what last week was like....that will make the roads interesting come Saturday morning.

Regardless of what happens, it's going to be cold Saturday. If the workday goes on as planned, be sure to dress warm!

If the weather gets bad on Friday, I'm out. The truck is 2wd and I'm not bringing the jeep. I don't want to be in an ice storm 3 hours from my house.

If the weather gets bad on Friday, I'm out. The truck is 2wd and I'm not bringing the jeep. I don't want to be in an ice storm 3 hours from my house.

Were you planning on coming Friday night?

If you don't make it because of the weather, what's a good halfway point for the stuff Doug has bought from you?

So my frat had to switch up a couple rush events on Friday and Saturday, making it a possibility of me having to leave early, if I need to is it good if I chime out a little early given the event isn't disrupted by weather?

I have been talking with Terry Savery of the forest service about the weather issue and she is waiting to see a couple of the updated weather forecasts tonight and tomorrow morning before making a decision about the weather. And she does have a replacement to haul the Bobcat, and will also be confirming tomorrow with them pending her decision about the weather.

As far as leaving early that is not a problem.

Actually Terry Savery got back to me a little bit later via e-mail, here is the section of the e-mail concerning Friday:

I’ve checked the weather and as of now the weather on Friday, January 25th is supposed to be 33oF with 89% chance of precipitation with it being a mix of sleet & snow in the afternoon with little to no accumulation. For Saturday, January 26th it is supposed to be dry, sunny, breezy & chilly with plenty of sunshine with a hi of 47oF. I would like to go ahead and still plan on getting the Bobcat here on Friday and using Darin’s Toyota Cruiser and one of our FS trucks to haul the guardrail and posts from the Arrowhead Campground spray field on Friday and haul it onto the work site that is on Rocky Mt. Loop. We’re taking in 6 long (25 ft) guard rails and 7 posts into the RML site. The 3 guardrail sites on RML are just before the 2nd culvert when you start at Dutch John Trailhead and take the southwest section of RML and you go past the intersection with Dickey Bell Trails. We’ll plan on meeting at the Dutch John Trailhead between 12 and 1 pm.

So the workday is still on go, looking forward to seeing everyone out on the trails. At least it won't be sleeting Saturday, we did that 2 years back on a December workday. That was when Chris got the S-300 stuck in a tail ditch and it took the John Deere tractor and my truck daisy chained together to pull it out. You can see the Bobcat all the way in the back:

54f9fcf5.jpg

Sleet and Ice:

8c8806f3.jpg

Turned the Trails into this mess:

4fefdffc.jpg

be8ed16c.jpg

Rain, Sleet, or Snow, to Uwharrie we will go!

Last edited:
It's going to be messy Saturday. Between all the rain from last week and whatever we get on Friday.

Unless the cold snap this week hardens the ground up a bit...

If it rains will they change the work date? If so how will that effect the rental? Need me to do some driving and drilling again if I make it?

Maybe I should tag Ghost between now and then.... LOL!

There will definitely be some time in the Bobcat for you sir, I don't want to keep all the bounc... I mean fun to myself. :D

OK, I think I might plan on bringing the heep. Sounds like it might be messy. My jeep likes messy URE trails. Shold be fun loading her up in the mess down here Friday after work.

They're still saying it will be light precip...maybe the roads won't be too bad come Saturday

I should be there by 830. I thought about bringing the jeep, but it has some small issues that I need to take care of before they turn into big issues.

I should be there by 830. I thought about bringing the jeep, but it has some small issues that I need to take care of before they turn into big issues.

Just a heads up. I'll be bowing out of this one. The weather here is bad and it's going to freeze tonight. I don't want to be in a ditch in a 7500 lb 2wd truck in the morning or tomorrow night. If I was closer, it would be different.

Nick - I'll get with doug and see if we can work out a different parts train.

Sorry fellas. I'm a little more wiser in my old age than when I was young and stupid.

Back