• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater problem

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Had Zoro running yesterday morning for about an hour and a half, went about 25 miles and the heat only started to get warm by about the time I got out, it was about 4 degrees the whole time. Yesterday afternoon it was about thirty and the heat only took a minute to kick in, is there something seriously wrong or was it due to the single digit temps? Also the air coming out of the vents isn't really moving that fast.

I thought something might be kinda wrong because my TJ is like a blast furnace.

Ok! This was just a learning experance for me. Had the wife drive the XJ to work yesterday morning. Got a call about 45 min. after she left, here she was at work with the XJ settting along side the freeway. Some nice policeman took her to work. Reason I'm telling you all this is becuse my 90 XJ didn't have very much heat either, until yesterday. Seems the heater control valve (the one by the bottle on the hoses going to the heater) broke and dumped all the coolent. I went got another hose with the valve, replaced it, holy cow I've got heat even with the temp gage reading 160. Looking at the old one it was all gummed up inside and didn't open all the way. So I think I found the problem the hard way. (wait till it breaks good then do something about it) Hope this helps.

Chad

P.S. I did a flush of the system about a month ago, which didn't help.

Last edited:
So there is a cut-off valve for the heater? I thought that there could be one because I know that the newer semi's are set up like that. If so where is it and is it a handle or something I need to use a wrench for?

Zoro said:
So there is a cut-off valve for the heater? I thought that there could be one because I know that the newer semi's are set up like that. If so where is it and is it a handle or something I need to use a wrench for?

There's a pic here:
http://jeepsunlimited.com/xj/cooling/cool.htm

Just follow heater hoses coming outta the firewall by passenger's side. When you replace try to do a hose at a time so you don't get confused. Or make a drawing first before removal.

Back