• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Hub question/limp, poor handling question - been researching

fishinpolejoe

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ Sport 4.0 4WD 312k miles

My main question is do wheel bearings always make noise when they go bad? I've looked all over and everything I have read says they will make noise.

I noticed a slight limp from the front end with the wheel cut deep while backing out of parking spots. Last time I had a limp it was the axle u joints and I had those replaced, maybe 25,000 miles on them.
I recently started driving to a new job and the road is a little rougher than what I am used to. I have noticed that at 65 mph the XJ isn't handling the bumps like it should at all. Bumps seem to really disrupt the handling and the front wheels feel wobbly like the tires aren't balanced but only on rough parts of the road. I stopped with the wheels turned to the left in a parking lot and it felt like the passenger front tire flopped over a little.

I'm thinking it must be bad wheel hubs or worn out ball joints. I searched and learned how to test each one so I don't need help there. It might be a few days before I get a good look at it. It's dark when I get off work. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should check, if I might be in any danger driving it, and again, if a bad wheel hub always makes noise.

I'm sort of hoping it is the hubs because I can replace those myself.

I have an 80 mile round trip to work and back every day by the way.

Thanks in advance folks.

Sometime bad hubs make noise but not always.
Just a small amount of play can cause death wobble.
Jack it up and grab the tire at the top and bottom and rock it.
Any play at all is reason for replacement.

Back